Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think is the best bait for a crawdad trap

What do you think is the best bait for a crawdad trap

when we make crawdad traps we make them from the 2 liter bottle and use a fish head or if we dont have that we just g0 shoot a bird out the back yard and use that

Comment

About any meat, if we don't have fish parts we have even had good luck with hotdogs...

Comment

Dog food. The cheapest store bought canned dog food. Punch some holes in the can, put can in trap and wait. I love crawdads.

Comment

Everybody above is right. I like the dog food too.
          Anykind of meat works though.

Comment

What I use for my crawdad traps is uncooked bacon or chicken cut up into chunks. The crawdads smell the meat and go into the trap to investigate and probably eat it. I've always had good luck with that method. Good luck fishin'!

Comment

My wife and her family do a lot of crabbing and crawfishing down in Louisiana and they normally like to use chicken necks, livers, and any other parts of the chicken they come across and have a lot of luck with that.

Comment

Nathan is a man who know's what he is talking about, I wouldn't go with liver though, just because it's so messy. Also bacon works. The rule is in general the fresher the bait the better.

Comment

I have 3 baits that produce the most, the first would be chicken parts as mentioned above, the second is bacon, finally I have had great success with marshmallows placed in a bottle with holes in it, as they break down they put a good scent in the water and attract the crawfish.

Comment

Agreed with bobby wade and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I've always had the best luck using a fried chicken bone with the grissle and some meat still on it. Crawdads will zoom in on it pretty quick.

Comment

i have the best luck with chicken liver and chicken gizzards. i wrap the liver and gizzards in 1/4 inch wire mesh in a tootsie roll shape and put that in my traps.

Comment

Bacon. Hands down, bacon.

Comment

catch a fish, put it in a closed baggie and put it in the sun to get it nice anr smelly then freeze it so when you put it in the trap, as it thaws the smell will get them in the trap to eat works great every time

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Do you use a walking stick?
                              by PigHunter
                              Do you use a walking stick when you hike? If so, what do you prefer? Is it something you've made or is it store-bought?

Do you use trekking...
                              07-18-2019, 12:33 PM
                            • Reply to Do you use a walking stick?
                              by Ontario Honker Hunter
                              Flagging tape holds a knot better than slippery paracord (which isn't saying much because that crap won't hold a knot worth beans). It's not as strong...
                              Today, 08:07 AM
                            • Hijacked tankers
                              by jhjimbo
                              Iran has 3 oil tankers (not ours) should we do anything ? What ? Be realistic, attacking the tankers would probably result in them being burned.
                              Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                            • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                              by FirstBubba
                              Let's not forget the chant, "Death to America!", burning American flags and presidential effigys.
                              Irans' burning desire to wipe Israel...
                              Today, 07:58 AM
                            • News Flash
                              by jhjimbo
                              anybody worth $15.00 an hour is probably already making $15.00 an hour.
                              Yesterday, 08:36 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X