Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when is it the best to crappie fish

when is it the best to crappie fish

Probably dusk or dawn would be the best time to get a load of slabs.

Comment

When they are biting!
      Really, you can catch the buggers all day, year round. If you know where they are at, then they can be caught at any time.
      Spring, I like to look in good spawning areas and hit them at dusk. Summer I look for half submerged shoreline brush and slowly work a curly tail on the bottom through the gaps.
      I usually devote fall to trout, but sometimes hit the crappies on deep structure.
      Winter, this year I have the gear to start hitting them through the ice.

Comment

wghere ui live at the lake i go to the most the time is spring early and late

Comment

I usually catch a mess of crappies when the water gets around 55 to 60 degrees.

Comment

Charley basically answered the best. You can catch them anytime, if you know how to.

Comment

I have luck year round with crappie, but my favorite time is in the evening just before the sun sets.

Comment

In MI they spawn in early May or so. Great time to fish them. We use to fish them with fly rods and micky finns.

Comment

Where I live right before the last bit of the sun goes down and it's not quit dark, we catch them about every cast. But just like everyone has said, you can catch them all year, all day, if you know where to find them. If you can, get a topo map of the water your fishing and pick out some likely hot spots and start working them. Mark down good areas and what time of year you were catching them. It's a little bit more work, but pays off with great fish frys.

Comment

In the morning they are good and the same eith the dusk

Comment

spring in the morning

Comment

spring

Comment

I didn't see one informative answer
                          Field and Stream ???

Comment

Originally posted by T View Post
                            Charley basically answered the best. You can catch them anytime, if you know how to.
                            Really??

Comment

Here in southern Indiana I start to fish for them when the water temp hits 45 degrees and hit my spot every weekend early fishing in Late Feb, helps me mark my spots for early spawn feeders which are usually not keepers but give me an idea as to where to fish for them in coming weeks. Once the water temp hits 50+ I go back to those spots and have my greatest success with several hitiing the 1 to 2 pound range and get my limit within a matter of hours!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad