Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinion on mono and braided lines, tell me what yall think

opinion on mono and braided lines, tell me what yall think

Both are great for their particular purpose.

Mono's biggest advantage (sometimes) is that it has some degree of stretch in it. This is useful in that it can cushion sudden jerks on the line. Instead of ripping the hook out of a tender mouth, like a crappie or trout, the line absorbs a lot of the energy. The stretch is also handy in loosing snags b/c you can "snap" the line and possibly dislodge your hook from the snag. I prefer mono for light mouthed fish or fish that tend to jump and jerk a lot.

The stretch is also the biggest detriment to mono. Braided line has very little to no stretch. This comes in especially handy when you need to "horse" a fish away from structure or pull it off the bottom quickly. Other big advantages of braid are that it is smaller diameter than mono for the same test and it is more durable. I prefer mono for fishing deep offshore on the bottom because I can pull fish away from the bottom quickly without haveing the fight the stretch of mono. I also use it when fishing in heavy cover because of the abrasion resistance and ability to pull fish away from structures.

There are some things one does better than the other, and neither will ever be obsolete.

Comment

Mono stretches which can be a problem when you are jigging in 40 feet of water. However, braided also has the drawback of being hard to cut, and when you do cut it you must singe the cut with a lighter or it will unravel like a rope.

Comment

Agreed with Greenhead and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad