Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you deal with twisted fishing line. I was fishing with my brother in law's pole with terribly twisted line. I was think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you deal with twisted fishing line. I was fishing with my brother in law's pole with terribly twisted line. I was think

How do you deal with twisted fishing line. I was fishing with my brother in law's pole with terribly twisted line. I was thinking some one should invent a "lure" designed to intentionally twist, so that you could untwist the line. I guess you could have a specific "untwister" type tool you cast, or intentionally use alternate twisting lures, or replace the line. I use swivels too, but sometimes it just happens...

If your trolling out of a boat, remove spinner, crank up the speed a bit, drop the swivel in the water and start letting out the line slowly by reeling backwards (if using a spinning rod) or pulling it out by hand through a loosened drag (casting reel). Let out half the spool. Put the motor in neutral and then very slowly reel the line back in. That should take care of the kinks for a while. If not trolling try this: remove the hooks from a heavy spoon or rapala type lure. Cast it out and reel it in as slowly as possible. Both lures should not spin and will give your line time to lose the twists as you reel it in. Also, only use ball bearing swivels. They cost more but they're worth it.

Comment

Most line twist comes from reeling a spinning reel while the drag is too light to allow the line to wrap on the spool. Each crank results in a twist. Spinning reels require that we only reel when we can actually take up line and wrap it on the spool. Good advice from OH above. You can also walk over the grass unspooling your line as you walk. Then drag it a couple hundred yards over the grass. Not as good as dragging it behind the boat but it works.

Comment

OH is correct on dragging the line to help remove some of the twists in the line. But all spinning reels and spincast reels put a twist into the line while casting. To prove it, just take a roll of toilet paper and hold it by the cardboard tube and pull paper off the other end like the line folds off a non-rotating spinning reel spool. You will see that one twist is put into the paper for every wrap of paper around the roll. The same thing happens to the line during a cast with a spinning or spincast reel. Since on retrieve you wrap the line back onto the non-rotating spool with a rotating bail, you also put a twist into the line for every wrap around the spool. But since the line goes back onto the spool in the opposite direction as it came off, the twist is also opposite. Thus, in theory, you end up with out any twists in the line once it is back on the reel. But if anything happens to the line while it is off the reel such as a lure spinng, the use of a swivel letting the twists in the line get out by themselves, or slipping of the drag clutch, the timing of the number of twists during the cast will not match the number of twists put back into the line on the retrieve. Therefore you end up with permant twists in the line once it is back on the reel.

Comment

If using a spinning reel, make sure you close the bail arm manually, don't reel it closed.

Comment

Justa use a baitcast if you still get twists use a swivel problem solved. If that doesn'twork lets just say it's not the equipment.

Comment

It's also important to put the line on the reel from the filler spool correctly. Line will have a natural coil to it, put it on the reel following the same direction of coil.
              Also you might check the bearing on the bail, when they get gummed up they don't rotate putting more friction on the line.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad