Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to start fishing for Pike this year but I have never gone after pike. I would like any opinions and/or suggestions to hel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to start fishing for Pike this year but I have never gone after pike. I would like any opinions and/or suggestions to hel

I want to start fishing for Pike this year but I have never gone after pike. I would like any opinions and/or suggestions to help me out. To give some specifics... I have No Boat. I am interested in both Live Baits and Artificial Lures. The best way fish the Canals and Rivers (Hudson and Mohawk River/ Erie Canal). Would it be worth it to fish a lake without a boat? Thank You.

Try to get your hands on a canoe or some kid of boat. I use live shiners early in the season, either still fishing with a bobber and the bait hovering over structure, or slowly drifting by structure and casting a bait hooked thru the lips. Rapalas work great too, until the weeds get thick.
    My $.02 worth.

Comment

A lot like large mouth in my experience. Spinners, spoons, and rattle traps are the lures that have produced the best for me.

I tend to find them in the shallows so you can fish them from shore. But all fishing tends to be better if you can get on the water.

Comment

Since you don't have a boat, a red/white Dardevle and other spoons will be your best friend. Orange and chartreuse are other good colors. Not only do pike love them, you can cast them quite a bit farther than other lures, expanding the area you can fish from your landlocked position.

Comment

I have had good luck with a chatter bait in shallower water.

Comment

Thank You for the advice

Comment

A red and white Daredevle is the aboslute best artificial lure bar NONE for Northern Pike. Don't use a knockoff in this case. For some reason, there is NO comparison with the real Daredevle. Trust me I have learned after many years. Walleye Pike on the other had like crank baits as artificials. They hunt in the murky water along wind blown shores and the deep water off points. Of course as with all fish, staking out a big live chub is hard to beat for either.

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad