Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best walleye soft plastic? How do I fish it? Where do I fish it? How much weight should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best walleye soft plastic? How do I fish it? Where do I fish it? How much weight should I use?

What's the best walleye soft plastic? How do I fish it? Where do I fish it? How much weight should I use?

White curly tail (3 to 4 inch depending on size of fish)
    on a purple jig suited to depth and current always seems to work for me.

Comment

White curly tail (3 to 4 inch depending on size of fish)
      on a purple jig suited to depth and current always seems to work for me.

Comment

I have yet to find the one color that will always work for walleye. The best thing to do is have a good assortment of soft plastics and colored jigs so you are able to switch combinations util you find what works. As for depth, I would buy a fish finder, walleyes will swim at different depths on different parts of the lake. Temperature, wind, water clarity, barametric pressure, cloud cover, time of day, and structure will all play a factor on how deep the walleyes are, hence the importance of a fish finder. I have always found that using a 1/8 ounce jig with a 3 inch worm works the best for me. You can snip off part of the twister tail's body to fit the jig, but you still get the good action of a longer tail. You will then use split shots to help you reach your desired depth, as a 1/8 ounce jig is fairly light when you are trolling or in heavy current.

Comment

1/8 oz jig head pink or green with a flourescent green twister tail. swimbaits work to.

Comment

Pascal,

At some point you are going to have to start being self sufficient and figuring things out as opposed to filling this board with frivolous questions. My .02

Comment

Hey hunt_fish_sleep,
              First of all, it's a legitimate question Pascal posted. Secondly, no one asked for your .02. Lastly, get help with your anger issues. Just my .02.

Comment

Walleye assassin on a 1/0 hook and a bullet sinker.

Comment

Blavin,

If you would read through the answers section in depth you would find pascal's extensive abuse of the board. And likewise, who asked for your .02? And what part of my rather mild post caused you to infer that I have an anger issue? Get help with your assaultive personality.

Comment

I am partial to a white rubber grub with a short pink tail. Remember that most colors in the light spectrum except for blue disapear after 25 feet anyway. Walleyes often like the 25-50 foot depths and they seem to pick up white real well.

Comment

The best soft plastic for Walleye is some Berkeley Gulp! Alive Minnows like this: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_103793____SearchResults

This stuff works great because it smells like minnows and lasts a lot longer than most soft plastics. Good luck fishin' for them 'Eye!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad