Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think a light is effective in catching more crappies at night, or is it a gimmick? Would a light help during ice fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think a light is effective in catching more crappies at night, or is it a gimmick? Would a light help during ice fishing

Do you think a light is effective in catching more crappies at night, or is it a gimmick? Would a light help during ice fishing at night?

They supposedly attract minnows, which then would bring in gamefish, so... give it a try ant tell me what happens.

Comment

I have used a green and blue light while crappie fishing from a pier and from a boat, we did catch more crappie for the reason stated by alex, the baitfish came in and the crappie followed.

Comment

I grew up in Lake county Florida. Near my home there was a lake with a highway bridge across the middle with a large lighted sign that reflected on the water at one end. Every Spring we would catch buckets full of Crappie (we call them Speckled Perch in Fla) at night fishing under that sign. I currently live in Kansas and last time I went home to visit saw the sign is not there anymore. Try it thru the ice. My guess is it will work but use very light line.

Comment

It does work and don't forget to fish the outer edges of the light too, some of the big boys lurk out there.

Comment

Night fishing under lights is very effecive on southern lakes. The light attacts the baitfish and the baitfish attract predators like crappie. I like to net the small shad that come to the light for bait. Same trick works for spotted sea trout. I don't see why it wouldn't work for ice fishing.

Comment

What happens is the light atrracts smaller organisms, that attract the baitfish, that attract the crappie. As long as you have the baitfish coming in, you'll always have the gamefish. I agree with Jim in Mo, work that outer edge it can pay off with some slabs.

Comment

It works fine to me!

Comment

It works fine to me!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad