Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of line and rig set up should i use to catch crappies in a shallow lake i know theres monsters in there but i cant see

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of line and rig set up should i use to catch crappies in a shallow lake i know theres monsters in there but i cant see

What type of line and rig set up should i use to catch crappies in a shallow lake i know theres monsters in there but i cant seem to get them in the bucket. Any suggestions?

I like to use minnows especially the minnows that come out of that lake. I fish a similar lake as you describe and I find that crappies like to hang around the brush from trees that have fallen in the lake. I found that the bigger crappies preferred the minnows over the crawlers. A subtle presentation also seemed to work better than the flashy spinners that I use for other fish. Another thing I've found is that crappies are like other pan fish, the bigger crappies hang with bigger crappies and the smaller crappies hang with the smaller crappies and finding them is half the battle. As you learn how to fish that lake you'll start pulling some real monsters out of there. Good luck.

Comment

That was super helpful jamesd. I'm planning a big event to get first time kids on the lake this weekend so I'm trolling (get it? he he he!) for tips to get the kids hooked. No pun intended LOL!

Comment

It also does not hurt to trim the fins on the minnow so that it swims erraticfally.

Comment

Agree with the others on minnows, but you didn't mention if you're fishing from a boat or shore. If you are in a boat another technique that I've had a lot of success with is getting directly over the cover and vertically jigging small grubs or tubes. Also, have had the opposite experience as James when it comes to flashy spinners. Maybe it's location, but here the big ones seem to like panther martins and rooster tails. Good luck finding the monsters, and maybe post a pic on here when ya do!

Comment

sorry forgot...for line I usually go with 4 or 6lb. I prefer fluoro, but if you like mono I'm sure it does the job fine. Also heard good stuff about the Berkley Nanofil, but haven't personally used it. For rod/reel I just have a kinda cheapo ultra light set up that I got a few years ago. Frankly kinda surprised the thing didn't fall apart a long time ago, but the tip has the sensitivity I need to feel the bites, and you don't need much reel power for crappie, so I can't bring myself to spend the $ on a new one.

Comment

I prefer 15lb stealth braid (stained water) run off a bobber 6-14 inches. While your buddy, or Ol' Man breaks his line trying to throw too close to cover you'll have time to land a couple slabs. Cheers.

Comment

15lb braid for crappie?? What, do they break the 10lb mark where your're fishing? That's like saying that if you aren't Bass fishing with 50lb you'll be breaking fish off.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Obstruction Question !
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
                  Today, 10:41 AM
                • Reply to Obstruction Question !
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
                  Today, 06:43 PM
                • Sealed Drags vs Cork
                  by buckhunter
                  Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
                  Yesterday, 10:16 PM
                • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
                  by Solitario Lupo
                  So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
                  Today, 06:20 PM
                • Peripheral Vision
                  by bowhunter75richard
                  we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
                  Today, 07:39 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X