Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To any muskie junkies: do you use a heavy plastic or wire for a leader?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To any muskie junkies: do you use a heavy plastic or wire for a leader?

To any muskie junkies: do you use a heavy plastic or wire for a leader?

I'm heading up to NE IN in a week for some muskie fishing with a friend. I read in this week's F&S about the guide who recommends 100lb mono leaders over a wire leader. This is not the first time I've ever heard it; but I've always, always used a steel leader because that was what I was taught to do by my Great Uncle. I did pick up a couple of 120lb fluoro leaders last weekend for that purpose. They certainly look like 120lb test, significantly thicker diameter than the steel ones in my box. But since it is so crystal clear I just have this terrible feeling that I'll finally hook into a 50 incher and it will cut through that 120 lb fluoro like a hot knife through butter. Anyone want to re-assure me that this will not happen???

Comment

Nuclear_Fisher im glad you asked this. I am taking a trip to MN for muskie fishing and read about this too, so I was interested

Comment

I use 30in wire while casting and trolling and 30lb Mason tippet material while fly casting.

I like longer wire leaders for two reason. First, muskie often strike head first and can easily cut your line 20 inches in front of your lure. Second, the longer wire leader gives you something to grab.

Comment

I've used wire most of my life but a good friend has gone to 100 lb flourocarbon leaders. A muskie has formidable teeth but I don't think one can get through that heavy of line. I will be using those this season. What my friend does is that he pitches them after catching a fish.

Comment

I don't fish for muskies but have caught a few hundred Northern Pike over 25 pounds and thousands of smaller ones. They are pretty similar to muskies as far as teeth and line sensitivity. I use 18-30 inch wire line depending on what I am casting.

I'm not sure what others have found but in my experience these fish are less line sensitive than any other species I have targeted. I have fished in the muddy waters of the Missouri and the crystal clear lakes of Northern Manitoba without any variance in line sensitivity. The big boys have a ton a sharp teeth and they attack lures with reckless abandon regardless of the leader.

I don't seen any reason to risk a monofillament break on a muskie so I haven't tried them at all.

Comment

We use 80 to 100 # mono depending on how & where we are trolling on St Clair. Short strike lines or down rods off the back of the boat we use heavier mono with 7Ft rods. We went to 7 ft rods so we could change lures out faster. Musky are fast and ferious so you need a strong line with a good lead as they will shake and roll cutting short wires of or kinking them. Mono in the 100# range is hard to tie but well worth the effort in the long run.I'll see if I can post some pictures. Lost a hard drive so I'll have to get them from my son inlaw later

Comment

The stronger the fluorocarbon leader the better, I use 150lb 18'' fluorocarbon leader when fishing fairly clear water and most of the time in general. If I use solid steel, I like it in the 100lb-120lb but usually only use a 12'' then. I’m sure the 120lb would be fine but I wouldn’t want to have a nightmare scenario and lose a 50+ either.

Comment

Where can you get 120lb or 150lb Flouro??? Got a web site? The local jobs don;t carry it. The best I can get is 100lb mono.

Comment

Sorry got excited and typed too fast: The local SHOPS don't carry it....

Comment

Well thanks for the answers boys. Can't say I'm any more confident...seems like most of you still stick to the ol' steel like me. I believe I will try them. Any positive (or negative) results and I'll post.

Rocky: I got my 120lb from bass pro. I was looking for the line to make my own but they didn't have anything past 60lb on hand, but they had plenty of pre-made leaders, which saves some hassle I guess.

(I tried to post a link for you but it's too profane for saying B___ Pro one too many times)

Comment

Nuke; Thanks! I actually am lucky enough to live in 40+ miles of a BassPro, and have a trip laid on for this morning.

Comment

My experience is the bigger they are the less they fight. Seen some big ones just float to the boat. Also caught one fishing for walleye on a crawler harness.Lucky he didn't roll but didn't damage the line. I wouldn't be afraid of 100# test mono.

Comment

I Definitely would say a long wire leader, from losing fish in the past I will always use long wire leaders.

Comment

i only use wire leaders. i don't like to take chances on big fish.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Obstruction Question !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
                                Today, 10:41 AM
                              • Reply to Obstruction Question !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
                                Today, 06:43 PM
                              • Sealed Drags vs Cork
                                by buckhunter
                                Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
                                Yesterday, 10:16 PM
                              • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
                                by Solitario Lupo
                                So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
                                Today, 06:20 PM
                              • Peripheral Vision
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
                                Today, 07:39 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X