Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My daughter just got her first pole. And yes its pink and sports a certain blonde bombshell. Our home lake isn't very fish-y but

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My daughter just got her first pole. And yes its pink and sports a certain blonde bombshell. Our home lake isn't very fish-y but

My daughter just got her first pole. And yes its pink and sports a certain blonde bombshell. Our home lake isn't very fish-y but id like to see if any quick biting panfish lurk in there. what's my best plan of attack? As you know kids her age aren't known for their attention spans

SG, A bright, pink, blonde bombshell bobber might keep her attention. I know it would mine

Comment

You are such a boy ha ha ha!!!!!!

Comment

Listen to that country song, "She Thinks We're Just Fishin'" There is a lot more to fishing with your kids than catching fish. I still have fond memories of the time I spent as a kid steelhead fishing with my dad, long gone now, though I have no memories of landing fish.

Comment

wow! look who's back! good to see you again! try fishing shallow around weeds. you may not catch lunkers but you can catch a lot. how old is your girl? glad you're back.

Comment

My twin boys are one year and my little girl is 5. Thanks jamesti that's a good tip!

Comment

Get yourself a can of whole corn. Open it up and throw the corn out into the water. If there are any eager fish they will come swarming. Bait up with waxworms or corn kernels and watch the fun begin. if there are any overhanging tree limbs you could get a roadkill groundhog and suspend it over the water for a few days,that is sure to bring so fish also. I guess I am blessed being so close to lake Erie and the Irish Hills. So many places to take little ones to enjoy the sports we have. Good luck and have fun mom. Hotdogs work wonders too.

Comment

All good advice given here.
                Worms, wax worms, maggots, (don't worry they don't stink) are probably the best bet to keep panfish and the little one busy.
                She'll probably have a short attention span, let her throw rocks, explore, get her feet wet, etc. in other words let her have fun!
                The catchin will come.

Comment

Good to hear from you again squirrelgirl. One of my favorite pastimes is to introduce children to fishing. You are dead right though... they MUST have action or they lose interest fast. I like to take them after bluegills and chumming the water works great.

I find that the little ones aren't too happy with gooyey little worms so most often we use bread crumbs. I tear off small pieces and roll them between my fingers, somewhat compressing them so they sink below the surface. I toss them out slowly until a few fish show up. Then I increase the chumming and let the kids join in. Before long, there is a feeding frenzy and a dab of bread crumb on a small hook suspended about two feet below the Mickey Mouse bobber gets them every time.

I wish I had videoed my grandaughter's first fish taken with this scheme. She was so excited as she reeled a big blue gill in on her little pink Snoopy rod. She did a great job but when the fish came splashing out of the water at her feet, she screamed in panic and threw her rod in the water and ran. I can still see the expression on her little face. She came back for more though and still likes to spend time fishing with Papa some 12 years later.

Comment

Use worms,,,take the kid out and dig them up with you she will love the experience even if you dont catch anything,,,and you get to save money

Comment

Don't have any fishing advice for you, but it sure is good to hear from you again. You have been missed, not to mention worried about on this site. It's good to hear that you are passing along your passion for the outdoors and I'm sure your kids will thank you for it over and over.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Obstruction Question !
                        by bowhunter75richard
                        Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
                        Today, 10:41 AM
                      • Reply to Obstruction Question !
                        by bowhunter75richard
                        A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
                        Today, 06:43 PM
                      • Sealed Drags vs Cork
                        by buckhunter
                        Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
                        Yesterday, 10:16 PM
                      • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
                        by Solitario Lupo
                        So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
                        Today, 06:20 PM
                      • Peripheral Vision
                        by bowhunter75richard
                        we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
                        Today, 07:39 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X