Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On an Ultra-Light rod which do you recommend : Open Face or Closed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On an Ultra-Light rod which do you recommend : Open Face or Closed?

On an Ultra-Light rod which do you recommend : Open Face or Closed?

i only use open faced. less problems and easier to fix if you do have one.

Comment

I'm in agreement with Jamesti, closed face reels are fine for dropping over the side of the boat perch fishing or for little kids. I know there are plenty of adults that use them for catfish and whatnots. But they limit you to line and there are very few with enough gear strength to hold a descent sized fish. An open face reel is far more versital and reliable and simple to fix 95% of the time. Closed face or spincast reels as they are known, are only a step above a cane pole. Not say neither have their place because they do. 14 foot cane pole used for crappie under brush overhangs etc are excellent means of fishing. Teaching someone to fish and getting them interested the spincast rules right along side the cane pole. Have a great Easter and God Bless you all

Comment

Open faced reels have more control and when they backlash, which they rarely do when spooled right, they are easy to work with. you may also notice further casts. i would recommend the pfulger president rod and reel, on sale this time of year.

Comment

I'm very pleased with my old Fenwick ultralight rod (purchased in 1969-70) and, over the years, I've gone through a series of open-faced reels - Daiwa, Mitchell, Shakespeare, etc.

Comment

Ed, hang on tight to that old vintage Fenwick classic rod. They were good back then and still are. I worked for Lew Childre who was Fenwick's biggest competitor back then, but I had to own a few Fenwick rods to do comparisons and I still have then along with a nice collection of vintage Speed Sticks.

To answer ImColty, Open face spinning reels are the reels of choice for most of the fishing world. They are a big step above the closed face reel, yet they do work almost the same. The spinning reel will handle heavier lines than the spincast, while being much easier to replace the line on. You can even carry extra spools for your spinning reel with prewound line on them and change the whole spool and line in less than minute or two without loing fishing time.

Comment

*losing*

Comment

Yea I figured as much and I if I were to buy one I would have bought an open-face. It is just my cousin recommended a spincast.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad