Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to snapping turtle hunting, and need advice favorite method bait gun ect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to snapping turtle hunting, and need advice favorite method bait gun ect.

New to snapping turtle hunting, and need advice favorite method bait gun ect.

When I was a kid we used to set trot lines for them and use pieces of chicken for bait. Just make sure that you use heavey enough line and have it tied off good on the bank because they are super strong.

Comment

You can also just shoot them in open water with a 22.

Comment

Shooting em with a .22 is illegal in my state, but not pellet rifles, and I have a realy good one. Will it work?

Comment

You want to make some money? - breed them for these colors. Google:

"The "uncommon" Common Snapping Turtles: Chelydra serpentina"

and go to the first link.

Comment

Awesome never thought I would meet someone on this site who also likes to fish for snapping turtles. Its really not that hard just get some strong nylon line or something like that a stake and some big hooks. I just run land lines I set them out over night and check them the next morning. I usually only put the bait out 5 or 6 feet cause the turtles like to cruse the banks looking for dead stuff that has washed up. I use cut blue gill because I can catch it myself and it is readily available at the pond. Just some tricks ive learned, run the hook through the backbone of the blue gill this will make it harder for the turtle to get it off, use cheap hooks you can buy in bulk because your not getting it back unless you find it wile your cleaning him, and dont use treble hooks try to use circle hooks or something like that the treble hooks dont hold the blue gill as well. Its really pretty simple I usually catch one on close to every line I put out unless they bite through the line (which can happen) or they straiten the hook.

Comment

Ncarl: Im actualy just getting into turtle hunting for three reasons.
              1:they ate all the fish out of my ponds, and I love fried largmouth.
              2:I heard you can make mony off their shells.
              3:I also heard that hte meat is realy good.

Comment

Buckmaster909: The meat is pretty good thats the main reason I fish them but In august when its 110 degrees outside there about the only thing to catch. Let me know how it goes or if you make any money off the shells never knew you could do that dont know if its even legal.

Comment

Ncarl: It is in some states. If you whant to seel em, you have to takem somwere its not.

Comment

I have found snake seeds to be the most effective tool in attracting turtles. The snake seeds' scent slowly waft to the noses of the turtles, placing on the turtles an unrelenquishable charm. Within minutes, hundreds if not thousands of turtles will storm your place of residence seeking the coveted snake seeds. As they attack, be prepared with water pistols filled with liquefied goat tarts to take them out. In my history of turtle hunting, this has been the most effective way.

Comment

PLEASE check for legality but when I was a kid in a few small creeks in Indiana we would catch big a$$ snappers like this...get a spade with the the horizontal handle and a short shaft tie fifty pound line or bigger to it REALLY well, then take any fish head about half the size of your hand and thread the line through the mouth and tie it really well. Toss it out like a trot line for cats. Tips: angle the shovel away from the creek and drive it deep also smaller creeks and rivers tend to give up snappers that are large and not cats that will also swallow such a large morsel whole

Comment

Originally posted by Ncarl View Post
                        Buckmaster909: The meat is pretty good thats the main reason I fish them but In august when its 110 degrees outside there about the only thing to catch. Let me know how it goes or if you make any money off the shells never knew you could do that dont know if its even legal.
                        also if you have a dog, you can cut off the chest plate, and let it dry out in the sun. after it is completely dried you can give it to your dog as a treat.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Culture of Lying
                          by MattM37
                          I'd say it goes all the way back to the beginning. There are just a lot more ways to hear the lies nowadays.

Westward expansion, gold rushes,...
                          Today, 02:36 PM
                        • The Culture of Lying
                          by jhjimbo
                          The culture of lying is epidemic in Washington, D.C. and the rest of the Country. How did this get started? Was it Richard Nixon ? The crooked main...
                          Today, 08:16 AM
                        • Reply to Hhs
                          by MattM37
                          Not yet. It was decided to place it on the 2024 ballot, so it might or might not become law.

If it does, it'll be for homeless people...
                          Today, 02:12 PM
                        • Hhs
                          by jhjimbo
                          Hotels in CA have to give a list of empty rooms every day by 3PM so they can be given to a homeless person.
                          08-13-2022, 04:13 PM
                        • Reply to Rainwater warning.
                          by MattM37
                          Well, I don't use the gutter spout as a drinking fountain anyway -- except when I'm really, really thirsty.

No mention in the article...
                          Today, 01:45 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X