Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I hear you can eat alligator gar? First how do you get thru the armor like scales, and how is the meat laid out is it in a roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hear you can eat alligator gar? First how do you get thru the armor like scales, and how is the meat laid out is it in a roll

I hear you can eat alligator gar? First how do you get thru the armor like scales, and how is the meat laid out is it in a roll like the king fish or more like a bass fillet? I dont know we usually break their jaw and throw them on the bank to die

Alligator gar has a nice large flaky white meat that does really well baked. I take an electric knife and start at the tail cutting the scales off of the skin. The scales will just come off in long strips and look like a snake skin. Then I make a cut down the back stopping just short of the center of the back bone. I roll the tenderloin over and cut it out without ever breaking into the stomach cavity. Make sure you cut ALL the dark meat off the loins and then cook. I have seen some people clean them with a chainsaw. but the electric knife between the skin and scales works great on big scale fish and amazes those who watch it done.

Comment

thanks Santa, and good recipes for them?

Comment

Santa,

You continue to be a fount of excellent knowledge.

To impose on your expertise just a hair more: Does the dark meat taste awful, or is it harmful to eat?

Comment

I tried longnose gar once. It took an electric filet knife but I got through the scales. Honestly though I didn't think it tasted that good.

Comment

The dark meat on a fish is basically used as the circulatory system. It is very strong tasting and on some fish, can make the taste bad enough that the fish is considered inedible. But just completely removing that dark meat can make that same meat very tasty. Remember when removing the dark meat it is very important to get all of it because just a few tiny spots will still give the whole piece of meat that strong taste. The dark meat is not harmfull and even cherished by some peoples of the world. I just do not care for it myself.

Comment

Santa, you never ceasr to amaze me with your knowledge. Alligator gar is very good to eat if cleamed properly. They are a fantastic sport fish. I caught one 5ft long and it jumped 3ft out of the water, AWESOME, it also chewed on my arm while I was securing it to a rope! Please dont kill them unless for eating. Thier populations are in trouble in some places. Here in AR there are strict limits because of overfishing. By the way Where I used to catch them is close to where Santa lives. Lake Forrest Yacht Club. One other note do not eat the roe it is toxic.

Comment

Gerg you need to come to texas they are desimating the sport fish populations and are considered a nuisance fish. they are in the same catergory as coyote

Comment

Wouldnt be the Trinity river would it? I think thats where the rod and reel record came from?

Comment

I nose them up to a tree and use a hatchet to cut up the middle of there back. I then slice with the grain of the scales from the opening in the back to expose the backstrap. I cut out the backstrap and chunk it up for the hot grease treatment.

Comment

Okay, first gar to clean and cook... If when you clean the gar the egg sack gets busted, will it contaminate the meat of the gar.......

Comment

Step one: make a half circle around the top of the fish, below the head. Turn your knife inward so to cut under the scales.
                        Step two: do the same at the tail about an inch or so above the tail.
                        Step three: take strong scissors the make a cut along the dorsal (top) of the fish all the way down to the cut at the tail
                        Step four: make a cut on each side of the tail on the skin and cut out a small square shape at the incision.
                        Step five: take you fillet knife and cut the skin away from the meat. If you do it correctly then the skin will open up and you’ll see the two backstraps there ready for you to fillet of the fish.

If you bust the guts then disgard the entire fish because it can make u very sick.

To me it tastes just like alligator tail

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad