Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had any success catching Tilapia on rod and reel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had any success catching Tilapia on rod and reel?

Has anyone had any success catching Tilapia on rod and reel?

Yes. There is a lake here in Utah that stays warm year round and it was illegally stocked with tilapia. WE find the on sonar and drop small jigs tipped with pieces of minnow.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback,I have not had a lot of success for them with lures, but I will give the minnow tipped jigs a shot.

Comment

I was catching tilapia on small wet flies from a bass pond in southern Alabama last fall while fishing for bluegills. Quite a surprise, and a pretty good fight, too.

Comment

I seen hispanic fishermen and women in South Florida catch huge Tilapia on simple hand lines, Their bait was a worm rigged under a float to hang just off the bottom. I bet one of these fish on a light spinning combo would be fun!

Comment

There's a freshwater lake on Oahu Island loaded with Tilapia and we caught them on worms.

Comment

Forgot to add the fried filets taste much better than the whole fish with skin on.

Comment

I grew up in South Florida and have caught a variety of exotic tilapia in residential lakes / canals. For bait, I've found simple breadballs w/ float will usually do the trick... Regardless of the freshwater species I am fishing, I always bring bread and throw it around my area to get the small fish stirred up and the big ones interested.
                I've also caught tilapia on live worms / a float, small jigs and minnows. During spawning they'll attack just about anything to protect the nest.

Comment

The Salton Sea in So Cal has a billion tilapia, right about now you can go down there and catch 80 plus in a day, just use a sliding sinker set up like for trout and use half a night crawler with around 18 inches of leader. It is not uncommon to catch 100 in a day and they get pretty big there too.

Comment

does anyone know a place in the Jacksonville Florida area they can be caught?

Comment

hi everyone, in my place, in Situbondo, East Java, Indonesia, I used to use moss for tilapia fishing, but lots of fresh water fishing in the wrong way is by using poison fish so the fish environment was damaged and found the tilapia with a large size is very difficult now this, I am very jealous of the Salton Sea that I see on youtube, it was a haven for tilapia fishing hobbyist like me, unfortunately for going there is just a dream

Comment

Yes. I use a Bass Pro 1/8 oz inline spinner. Black with silver spoon, fish as slow as it will still spin. I have caught 20 in the last week. Ranging from 1-3.69 lbs. The beast was 18".

The they will bite in any conditions but I like fishing for them when it gets hot and nothing else is biting.

Good Luck
                        Will

Comment

A worm rigged under a float to hang just off the bottom!

Comment

A worm rigged under a float to hang just off the bottom!

Comment

Simply put, yes you can.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Do you use a walking stick?
                                by PigHunter
                                Do you use a walking stick when you hike? If so, what do you prefer? Is it something you've made or is it store-bought?

Do you use trekking...
                                07-18-2019, 12:33 PM
                              • Reply to Do you use a walking stick?
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                I wouldn't expect you to take flagging tape into the woods. Hunting off an ATV doesn't require anything to mark downed animals or trailheads.
                                Today, 08:22 AM
                              • Reply to Do you use a walking stick?
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Flagging tape holds a knot better than slippery paracord (which isn't saying much because that crap won't hold a knot worth beans). It's not as strong...
                                Today, 08:07 AM
                              • Hijacked tankers
                                by jhjimbo
                                Iran has 3 oil tankers (not ours) should we do anything ? What ? Be realistic, attacking the tankers would probably result in them being burned.
                                Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                              • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                                by FirstBubba
                                Let's not forget the chant, "Death to America!", burning American flags and presidential effigys.
                                Irans' burning desire to wipe Israel...
                                Today, 07:58 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X