Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok so heres the deal....this summer i am going to ontario to fish big pike. id like some tips, links for baits, your experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok so heres the deal....this summer i am going to ontario to fish big pike. id like some tips, links for baits, your experiences

Ok so heres the deal....this summer i am going to ontario to fish big pike. id like some tips, links for baits, your experiences, and what you would do. i know these fish are bigger that the 27 inch rainbows im used to so i need some advice. thanks.

I used a plastic weedless mouse worked like dynamite in the water lily. You can see the wake of those pike coming up to strike!

Comment

well, im a pretty novice fisher, if i could even call myself that, but i am from ontario and i have caught pike. i often found that pike liked to lurk in weedbeds, timber down areas, and generally in alot of cover, but im sure this is not news to you if it is even correct info.
      where abouts are you from? and where are you headed for pike?

Comment

i forget where in ontario but its a fishing guide place. but im from ohio and wv so iv never been up there

Comment

I think that when the lakes start to ice-off and thaw, any spoon in flashy colors would do. In Saskatchewan, I caught Pike with a the 5 of Diamonds by DareDevle, or the "Cop Car" (black and white spoon) and John's Silver Spoon.

Comment

There's not enough 27 inch trout in WV to get "used to." I've been there several times and not caught one over 15"

Comment

The lake we went to back in 2007 (Tony's Lake, Airdale Fly-in, in Wawa, Ontario) the pike were so aggresive you could catch them on almost anything. I used Hula Poppers, Jitterbugs, buzz baits, jig and tail, Little Cleo, and assorted Rapalas. For the Little Cleo, the best size I used was the 2/3oz. spoon in silver/orange and gold/red. The Rapalas seemed to catch the bigger pike Husky Jerk (HJ12 and HJ14), Original Floater (F11, F13, and F18), Jointed (J13), X-Rap (XR12), and the Skitter Walk (SW08). If you can handle the misquitos, try going out at dusk with a surface lure and hang on tight, the strikes will be outstanding.

Comment

hunt_fish_sleep
                I caught 6 in 2 days and all were more than 15inches. idk where you fish but untill you have experienced all the fishing i dont see how you can come to a conclusion.

Comment

use jigs, and larger fakes for trolling

Comment

Within the first few weeks after ice out (say early to mid-June)the big pike cruise the shorelines and bays for spawning. Drag the biggest red and white Daredevil or musky plug you can buy behind the boat and troll the shoreline looking for them. If you hit one, stop and cast the shoreline in that area for more. Keep a casting rod in hand as you troll and if you see a swirl near weeds or fallen trees, hit it with the biggest Daredevil you can cast. Putt quietly into every bay and bayoo you can find and cast from the middle to the weed beds along the shorelines. Watch for big ones following the lures. When in the bays, watch in the water to see them cruising below the surface and cast ahead of them. They will hit about anything that moves but the red Daredevil (NOT KNOCK OFFS) gets more pike than anything out there. In the heavy lily pads, I use the silver Johnson spoon with pork rind, skimmed pretty fast through the weeds. By July 1, they head out into the deeper water and are much harder to locate. That's another story. Remember, with small lures you will catch hammer handles... Use BIG lures to catch BIG ones... there are usually more big fish than you think around but you won'see too many of them with small lures. Good luck.

Comment

A couple of lures i really like to fish in Canada is jigging a spoon off the bottom and using a crankbait with a rattle in it. good luck!

Comment

I really enjoy these baits for pike fishing and they work well. Mepps.com

Comment

Somebody is a little stuck up not mentioning any names "27 inch rainbow" catching one doesn't get you used to catching them buddy. Sorry to tell you.

Comment

i think he was using sarcasm

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad