Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to lake Michigan to shore fish for salmon, what lures should I use? I know spoons work, but what size, color, and if n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to lake Michigan to shore fish for salmon, what lures should I use? I know spoons work, but what size, color, and if n

I'm going to lake Michigan to shore fish for salmon, what lures should I use? I know spoons work, but what size, color, and if not spoons what should i use and what color, size ect?

Tough question - lots of variables, including season, time of day, weather and wind conditions, and location - it's a big coast with big water.

I normally stop into a local tackle shop close to the waters I plan to fish. They can tell you whether to fish the piers, the harbor, or the rivers depending on what is happening at the time.

Here's a good link:

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/tips/shore/shore_fishing.htm

Comment

MLH beat me to it. Buy your tackle from a local shop. They'll know what to use.

Comment

I don't know Alex but where you been? I thought you kicked the bucket.

Comment

Blue and white, silver and white.

Comment

Ha, I'm still alive and well at the ripe and old age of 14, just never post as much as I did due to fishing, mountain biking, girlfriends, and school.

Comment

Alex, I fish Lake Huron and Michigan from the shore every year. Try to find one of those Little Cleo spoon combo kits with 5 lures. Blue/Silver, Orange/Silver, and Flor.Green/Silver seem to work the best for everything thats out there salmon and trout wise.

Comment

Have you seen the episode of survivor man where he spends the entire week fishing for Arctic Char from shore with Extremely limited success? I fear that fishing from shore at the great lakes may be even less successful, but I hope that I am wrong and you land some nice ones. I LOVE salmon fishing. Good luck to you.

Comment

Thanks hunt_fish_sleep, I hope I do Well, Ill post the results.

Comment

I used to fish Lake Michigan a LOT but moved from there about a decade ago... Salmon are more finicky about lure and color than any other fish you will ever go for. In the Spring, the Little Cleo in silver and blue will be your best bet and it is always good from the shore because you can really cast it well. Dip the lure in elewive (the little shad like bait fish you will find along the shore) if you can. It will increase your odds more than double. Their sense of smell is unusually high and it does excite strikes. Also, at some times, if you tie a small streamer fly about a foot ahead of your lure, it really helps. Fish from the Jetties if you can. I forget the spoon name right now (maybe a Clark spoon) but their is one that is heavier, longer and slimmer than the Little Cleo that has flouresent green paint on it. Just before sun up and after dusk, this is the best... you use a camera flash attachment to flash the lure and light up the flouresent glow. It really works... for shore fishing salmon there, be sure to sharpen your hooks to the point where they scratch your finger nails as you drag them over. Salmon have a real soft mouth and will eventually through your hook unless it penetrates deep into their jaw. Also test all your knots because the fish can be big and they hit a spoon at over 20 mph and pull like few fish you catch in fresh water. If you just have those two spoons, you will have something good to start with. Others work and the local tackle shops are good to check however, many are good at spotting a novice and will gladly sell you the whole tackle shop as "must have' equipment. See what everyone else is using at the jetty too and be ready to change to what works. Good luck and get your hiney to Waukegan by the middle of May if not sooner. I've nailed a lot at Meggs field and the aquarium too this time of year but they should already be heading north along the shoreline by now. Good luck..

Comment

I like little cleos in silver and blue. In the agust and September I like to fish the mouths of the tribs floating skaine. Skaine is what I've found to be most effective actually. I also like the orange mepps black fury #3.

Comment

Good answer DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad