Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any of you that live in West Virginia ever hear of freshwater eel in WVa? Alot of people dont beleive it but i know its true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any of you that live in West Virginia ever hear of freshwater eel in WVa? Alot of people dont beleive it but i know its true

Do any of you that live in West Virginia ever hear of freshwater eel in WVa? Alot of people dont beleive it but i know its true because i caught one that was almost 5ft. what do you think?

I do not live in WVA but up in New York we have fresh water eels. When most of us catch them we just cut the line. None of us want to touch them.

Comment

Same here, I don't know about WVa but I caught one in PA when I was a kid. It gave my dad a heck of a time and he was covered in slime from trying to get it off the hook. I guy came by and said to cut the head off but my dad didn't want to freak me out so he kept at it. Being a kid I was kind of hoping he would cut the head off.
      What did you do with yours, hunterkid?

Comment

well to say the least.....they arent bad eatin! my dad would go out when he was a kid and catch and eat them. we fried it up and chowed down. yes they are very slimy. we have a "secret" fishing spot where you can catch them on private land and we toss a bit of sand on them to get better grip.

Comment

I've never cought one down here(Ark.) but my brother did one night, thought he had the biggest snake he ever saw, alomst lost his rod and reel tryin' to get rid of it.

Comment

I believe you. Those things are in a lot more places than people think. They are also horrible little demons. In my experience, when you catch them and grab them trying to get them off the hook, they wrap themselves around your arm. I've had a few try to bite me too.

I've eaten them too, and they're pretty good, but they were eels that others caught. I refuse to deal with them. Now I just cut the line if what's on the end isn't valuable to me, or I slam their head against something.

Comment

Yea I believe it. I caught one (my first) on the Mississippi river in the late 70's. I left my line out and went to bed, at 3am I got up to pee and my line was slack, so I reeled it in some and new I had a fish. As I reeled it rolled on the surface, something greenish. I thought I had a cat. When I lifted it into the boat I didn't know what the heck I was looking at.
              My dad has long since passed away but when he was a teen he worked on a river barge as a cooks helper. He told me some stories of fish caught and he said there was an older barge worker with them that would take the skin off the river eel and use them for hat bands or belts. Back then every gentleman wore a nice hat to church or the office.

Comment

Yeah eelskin is some tough stuff. Why don't we wear hats anymore? I have one, and wear it time to time, and get compliments almost every time, but a lot of people hate it. I guess I'm OK with being the only hat guy around.

Comment

Agreed with shane answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

yes years ago..i do mean years ago like when i was around 15 or 16..the bass and walley and even an ell and yes it was atleast 4 or 5 foot long ..havent seen one for many years after that tho..im thinking water has changed over the years..silt or acid rain maybe...all fish have declined...i have seen the eel in french creek in pleasants county..up near the first riffle..i caught it..cut the line..i was skeerd..i was a kid..lol

Comment

Never heard of any down here in southern WV.

Comment

The ells are common only in the Potomac River drainage. That is why Soggin you have never heard of them in southern WV. They are good to eat and when you catch one, get your hands in the sand and then you can handle them, and oh yes they will bite pretty hard too.

Comment

I do know there’s freshwater eels not sure if I ever saw one. You do know we have freshwater lampreys. I do see them in a couple creeks I fish. So when I see them I wonder if it was a eel. And turns out to be a lamprey.

Comment

I know the lamprey and the eel are not closely related, but I still hear people refer to them as lamprey eels.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                              I know the lamprey and the eel are not closely related, but I still hear people refer to them as lamprey eels.
                              I’ve heard that to but the lampreys mouth are more nastier than a eels. Plus the freshwater lampreys are endangered here.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad