Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was looking at a list of fish in one of our local ponds, and came across one called a Walleye Pike, what the heck is a Walleye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was looking at a list of fish in one of our local ponds, and came across one called a Walleye Pike, what the heck is a Walleye

I was looking at a list of fish in one of our local ponds, and came across one called a Walleye Pike, what the heck is a Walleye Pike?

Next to bass, I would say that this is the number 2 American game fish. Google "walleye pike" and you will see what they look like and how to fish for them. They are rated as one of the best fresh water eating fish we have in America although there is some resistance to that notion from trout fisherman from the great northwest or the salmon fishermen from wherever they may be. Walleye tournament fishing is big north of the Mason Dixon line because their bass don't grow as big as in the south. Lake Erie is famous for walleyes. My nephew is a professional walleye fisherman in the midwest and you can actually make a living fishing for them. They aren't known as great top water fighters (they tend to like to head for the bottom and pull kind of like an overshoe full of cement). In a blind taste test, we once had a cook off between walleye pike, red snapper and grouper to see which people thought was better. The walleye won hands down... go figure! All tasted very similar. They are sure worth catching and might even be in a lake near you... give 'em a try.

Comment

I live in Minnesota so I am very familiar with Walleye, but I have never heard them referred to as Walleye Pike.

Comment

Some people call them walleye pike. It's just a regional thing. They're not related to pike at all, though. They're in the perch family.

Comment

Tough choice between fresh walleye and lake perch as the best eating freshwater fish. My choice changes each time I have one or the other. You can catch them during the day but the diehards go out and troll or handline for them at night.

Comment

I remember fishing the Walleye opener in Minnesota before we moved to NC. Good Times! I remember our last opener we caught an 8 pounder and a 6 pounder and several 2 and 3 pounders. I really loved Walleye fishing, and loved eating them even more.

Comment

I walleye pike is another name of a walleye. If you don't know what a walleye is here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walleye

Good luck fishin'!

Comment

IF YOU LOOK AT ALL THE OLD 40S AND 50S PICTURES OF WALLEYES ON CHARTS AND FISHING GRAPHS.ALOT OF THEM CALLED THEM WALLEYED PIKE

Comment

I agree with TWSMYTHE, Walleyed Pike is just another (older) name for Walleye.

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                      by PigHunter
                      I understand the reason someone would pick the heavier bullets. However, heavier bullets cause greater recoil and will affect recovery time and may result...
                      Today, 02:16 PM
                    • Cheaper Than Dirt
                      by jhjimbo
                      Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                      Today, 12:21 PM
                    • Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                      by fitch270
                      I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                      Today, 01:40 PM
                    • 300 yard .22lr
                      by jhjimbo
                      Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                      Today, 11:28 AM
                    • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                      by jhjimbo
                      I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                      Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X