Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

could some one clarify, lake or pond, what is the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could some one clarify, lake or pond, what is the difference?

could some one clarify, lake or pond, what is the difference?

Um Lakes are really big bodies of water and ponds are smaller areas of water.

Comment

Lookup the meaning at the USDA site. They call them; Pits, Ponds, and Lagoons. No the're not a rock band.

Comment

Size is the only difference.

Comment

lakes are bigger than ponds

Comment

Unless you got a friend from the other side of the pond. (Japan)

Comment

Lakes are bigger and have a river or stream that leads to another body if water. A pond is just a small body of water that doesn't have a stream. A lake can be a part of a river like in the Tennessee River in north AL. I fish in Wheeler Lake which is a part of the river its just a certain section of the Tennessee. It's between Wheeler dam and Wilson dam.

Comment

I have fished tanks, ponds, and lakes since I was a kid, The way it was explained to me by the old timers in the area is listed below.

Tank:
                Body of water that is less than one acre, normally a water source for cattle or other farm animals.

Pond:
                Larger body of water that is no larger than 5 acres, used as a water source for animals on farmland. High percentage of these larger ponds are stream fed so they hold a good water level throughout the heat of the summertime.

Lake:
                Larger body of water that is 5 acres or more and is normally used for fishing and recreation, deeper body of water that has more development and structure that has been added to the body of water.

Hope this helps a bit, the info listed by the others is great as well, but this is how it was explained to me years ago.

Comment

lakes are more bigger and ponds are more smaller

Comment

I would say dwaynez is on it, except I've never used the word tank. Tanks are glass and usually measured in gallons where I'm from. Other than that a pond is a small body of water that holds water year round (or is supposed to) up to 5 acres. A lake would be anything larger than that.

Comment

This isn't official, but it seems that ponds are more of a man made thing, and lakes are more of a natural thing, although there are plenty of obvious exceptions.

Comment

If you can walk around it and fish it in a reasonable amount of time, I call it a pond. If you need to launch a boat to fish it, I call it a lake.

Comment

lake is a big body or water and a pond is a small body of water and you can have a pond in your back yard but if your rich you could have a lake in to your back yard.

Comment

lake bigger pond smaller

Comment

ponds=smaller and normally private.
                              lake=large and mainly public.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad