Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been stationed in Nebraska for a few yeas now and cant seem to find a good fishing spot around Omaha NE. I was wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been stationed in Nebraska for a few yeas now and cant seem to find a good fishing spot around Omaha NE. I was wondering

I have been stationed in Nebraska for a few yeas now and cant seem to find a good fishing spot around Omaha NE. I was wondering if someone could help me out since I from NY and just cant seem to have any luck in NE. Thank you

hey i actually live in nebraska, i might be able to help you out. i don't fish around omaha, but if you're willing to drive, i can help you out. do you fish off off a boat on a lake?

Comment

If your in Omaha, Truman Lake in Mo isn't that far. Yea you'll have to drive and spend the night, or not, but it's good.

Comment

Reid Jones i dont have a boat yet i have been looking into getting one. so i mainly just fish from the shore right now. i am willing to drive but due to being in the military we have some restrictions on as how far we can go.

Comment

Jim in MO what city is truman lake in i havent heard of it before

Comment

out at Sherman Reservoir they have some pretty dang good fishing. i would consider going out to any of the big lakes here in nebraska.

Comment

The Missouri River runs through Omaha. You would be shocked to know the number and variety of fish that are under the surface of that mirky water. Top prespects will be bass, crappie, northern pike, walleys and catfish. The river also has spoonbill cats that may top 80 pounds... not sure what the laws are on fishing them in Omaha nowdays. I fished it 90 miles north of you and usually caught a half dozen fish before school in the morning or after school in the evening. You can fish from shore but with a boat, you can always find a fish hangout. There are two relatively new species in that river from the carp family that are great eating white meat. They are typicaly over 20 pounds and you can only get them with a bow and arrow. They eat green vegitation along the banks (e.g. rushes) and they present themselves for a shot where gr een meets the water, especially in backwater eddies. The early summer is best for them but you can hunt them most of the summer. They taste like Red Snapper or walleys from northern Canada. Good luck... check out the locals on the river and you might be surprised. By the way, channel catfish there are delicious and quite fun to catch.

Comment

Sorry forgot to mention the name of the the new carp family fish... the "White Amber" and the "Bighead Carp"... These are not disgusting carp and they are delicious.. a really well kept secret.

Comment

Hey DakotaMan thanks for the advice i was actually planning on going on the missouri one of these days when i get back to NE i have been to the platte but i didnt seem to have much luck there.

Comment

Yeah, I fished the Platte there too... no luck for me. See if you can find a few wing dykes to fish... these are the red granite dikes perpendicular to the shore that prevent shore erosion. These will typically hold fish on the down stream backwater. I float a frog hooked in the upper lip for catfish and gars. Cast spinners for skipjack, northerns and walleyes and Rapala Shadraps for bass, northerns and walleyes. Cast black jigs for crappies and bass. Watch for farm kids along the bank with bent poles... if you see any... they are probably serious fishermen and can show you the way.

Comment

hey thanks again DakotaMan hope i have some better luck this year. i will have to try some of your tips.

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used...
                          Today, 04:18 PM
                        • 16 Years
                          by jhjimbo
                          So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                          08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                        • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                          by Amflyer
                          Aaaaaaaand...there goes Derek.
                          Today, 04:04 PM
                        • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                          by derek7
                          Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                          08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                        • Reply to Trump
                          by 99explorer
                          Trump is so desperate to screw up the election that he is willing and able to damage the U.S. Postal Service by withholding necessary funding.
                          He
                          Today, 03:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X