Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is good bait to use to catch catfish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim maybe he gets a bucket for him and a bucket for them??

Comment

The cats around me love canned ham, hot dogs, and that leftover venison you find in the back of the freezer from 2 years ago. We also have a local who sells a "secret recipe" cat bait that works great, and its mostly made of corn meal, peanut butter, pureed chicken liver, and bacon grease. Its not fun trying to make, but it works.

Comment

I have used a big ball of night crawlers and a jig and caught lots of cats in a short period.

Comment

If you fish in a river, I will tell you a very old secret now that I am getting up there with no grandchildren dependent on their catfish catch. I used to fish catfish commercially in the Missouri river and this was my secret that I held dearly. You may not be able to apply it due to lack of access to the bait but here goes: You get blood from a slaughter house (pigs or cattle). Let it congeal in a bucket and put the 1" square chunks (of a liver like consisency)in a little cheesecloth bag. You will find it takes about 8 hours for it to completely dissolve in the water and it leaves a blood trail in the current they will follow for miles. Unlike liver, it keeps disolving until it is all gone. It is advantageous to fish in the same spot rather than to move around because you are creating a blood slick that will lead them to you regardless of where you are fishing. I like to put it in a hole or indentation in the structure about 8 feet deep if you can but I have put it on a bobber for channel cats in current. It seems to be exactly the right consistency to bleed away slowley and they just keep coming. I used to use it in my catfish traps and would catch hundreds on this while my competitors were catching dozens on their cheese and stink baits. Good luck and let us know if you get a chance to try it.

Comment

nice tip! finally some good advice from a person who knows what he's doin.

Comment

Worms, cut shad, cut shiners, cut bream, crawfish. Shrimp are also good. There are tons of "stink" baits out there some good some not so good. Experiment and have fun.

Comment

well it all depends on what your going after channels blues or flats for the channels use your stinkbaits and worms and blood baits for blues use similir baits but you cant go wrong with fresh cut shad or herring with them and then for the flatheads anything that they can fit in their mouth mostly live bait however and some of the best live bait to use is bluegill tilapia bass crappie and other catfish however you need to check your local regulations and see whats legal and what isnt here in texas i'm stuck to using live bluegill i cant complain though caught my pb of 50lbs this year on him good luck out there and let us know how it goes

Comment

Thanks Dakotaman, I just dropped my bucket off @ a processor yesterday. I can pick it up full of cattle blood next Monday. I'm wondering how long it takes to congeal, and if i have to leave the bucket uncovered to do so? I'll figure it out.

Comment

WE WENT ON A TRIP OUT TO CYPRESS LAKE BLAK BAYOU WE WENT TO WALMART AND GOT SOME CATFISH BAIT LIVER AND CHEESE AND SOME NIGHT CRAWLERS AND THEN WE GOT THERE AND I WENT OFF AND CAUGHT A 5 POUND CATFISH AND A STRIPED BASS. SO USE MINOS, BLUE GILL, CATFISH BAIT , NIGHT CRAWLERS, AND SHINERS THOSE ARE ALL GOOD BAITS TO USE FOR CAT FISHING. FOR THE BASS USE JIG HEADS , BUZZ BAITS , NIGHT CRAWLERS , AND SPINNING BAITS

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

We catch them on livers, nightcrawlers and minnows fished off the bottom. Shad and cutbait are pretty good too. Caught a 30 lb. channel green glowing nightcrawler. Something in the dirt turned them a bright chartreuse color, but i cant find those anymore. Anything would hit those.

Comment

I know the ivory soap works really well when catching a catfish.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad