Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is a min. size limit for you to keep a fish and mount it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DakotaMan
    replied
    You never have to keep any fish to mount it any more. Taxidermists don't deal with fish that way anymore. Fiberglass fish forms are cheaper and faster than trying to fiddle with a real fish. Just measure it, take a picture if you can and tell your taxidermist what you want. Fish lose all their color and always have to be painted anyway. As far as size, it is what you want that is important.

Leave a comment:

• yd281
    replied
    I don't have any mounts, but a few of my friends do. Some of them also have replicas, and I think they look better. Personally, I don't keep it if I'm not going to eat it, but a replica would let you do both.

Leave a comment:

• dwaynez
    replied
    It's a personal choice, it's different for each person. If you have access to big fish water your standards may be totally different than the next person.

For me I personally won't mount a Bass unless it's 10lbs, but I would go with a fiberglass replica so I could release the fish.

I have mounted large sun perch and crappie

Perch was 1.2lbs and the crappie was 3.5lbs.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Del nailed it. It is the memory that matters. Something unique is what appeals to me. My Dad caught a big Largemouth that went 11 lb, 12 oz when I was ten years old. The fish wrapped up on some cat tails. In my youthful exuberance I dove in, swam to the fish and unrapped her so he could finish the fight. He had the fish mounted (the only one he ever had done) just because of the memory of me lending a hand. He told me in later years he would have released her like he had done with other big bass, seeing me wet and excited was something he wanted to remember. The fish still hangs on a wall in his living room.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Never had the urge to mount a fish, though a well done one is a beautiful thing.

A friend caught a marlin on vacation. Captain asked if they wanted a mount and he said, "Sure!" When they delivered it he realized he didn't have a wall big enough for it. It's still in the box in his garage.

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    It should be about the memories not the size. Though size might be what makes it a good memory. There's things like a first fish, etc that might make it one for the Taxidermist.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    Whatever is special to you, it doesn't matter on size, it's about what's important to you. Don't worry about what others think.

Leave a comment:

• Chrp09
    replied
    My personal beliefs is not to mount fish of any species. I carry a digital camera with me on all my fishing trips, so I can record the fish in that manner. I believe in "Catch and Release". When you catch that fish of a noticable size, it should be released. That sustains the gene pool of the fish so that other anglers may have an opportunity to catch a fish of a lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• SLY FOX
    replied
    For Pike I would definetly mount anything over 40in or 16 pounds. Walleye probably 10 pounds and up

Leave a comment:

• what is a min. size limit for you to keep a fish and mount it.

what is a min. size limit for you to keep a fish and mount it.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad