Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where is the best place to fish for walleye without a boat? When should I go? And what bait should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where is the best place to fish for walleye without a boat? When should I go? And what bait should I use?

where is the best place to fish for walleye without a boat? When should I go? And what bait should I use?

Where do you fish? What type of water are you fishing (river, lake, resevoir)? What kind of weeds or structure is in the water?

Comment

It depends on where you live. In northwest Ohio, for example, a great place to fish without a boat in spring is the Maumee River. Right now the walleyes are running up the river and they are catching jacks. Soon they will have a chance at big females.

Also in that corner of the state are many upground reservoirs, which are essentially big bowls built on flat ground. The "walls" of the reservoirs are lined with riprap. Casting parrallel to the riprap with grubs is a great way to catch walleyes from ice out to about July and again in the fall.

Many natural lakes further north have narrow channels that connect them. These channels get "current" caused by wind pushing water between them. They can be good spots to fish without a boat. Not sure on best times of year, but I'd say in spring and even summer evenings if there is good vegetation in them.

Comment

Like Nemo said it really depends on where you live. In kansas we fish off of the spillway behind the lakes and have great luck with nightcrawlers. I've also caught them just fishing the banks using spinners.

Comment

depends where you live because many rivers with a semi to strong current will hold walleye.

Comment

I am in the same boat (pardon the pun) as you Ranger. What I do is spend more time on homework. Check State fishing reports, talk to old timers, use aeral photos and maps to find public access points and locations that could hold fish on rivers. Find maps of lake bottoms on the net. There is a lot of literature out there that can help learning the habits of these fish. I would suggest Successful Walley Fishing from the Freshwater Angle series. Remember to change your presentation often until you figure them out, dont get stuck in a rut which happens often to fishermen. You could invest in some waders or later in the sumer wade without waders. Make this disadvantage your advantage by going places where boats cant go. If you get good at catching walleye from the bank, you will be able to catch em from a boat.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad