Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are crappie lures too lite for bait casting reels

are crappie lures too lite for bait casting reels

Yes, you'll have to throw 1/4 ounce or heavier for a bait caster. Most crappie jigs are an 1/8th or smaller. There will be several you can throw but the majority will be too small

Comment

Most bait casters have trouble with baits under a 1/4 ounce.

Comment

thanks guys, i wanted a bait caster combo but i do mostly crappie fishing at the lake around shore line, i dont have boat.i gave baitcasting up and went back to spinning reels.

Comment

I'd stick with the spinning reel too. But a big part of getting out there with light panfish tackle is all in the line. It won't do much with 14 lb line but change that to 4 lb line and it's a different story. It's all in the line weight.

Comment

thats a yes and a no it all depends on which crappie lures you are using i personally take a spinning rod and a baitcaster with me anytime i go fishing as i can have the heavier line on my baitcaster and fish the really thick brush with it when vertical jigging but i will use the spinning reel in light brush and for casting situations like snow said its all about the line

Comment

I use 2 spinning outfits, one ultra lite with 4lb. line and one lite action with 6lb. line.

Comment

To be honest if I mostly fish for crappie, I would stay with spinning rods, it doesn't get better than that for you

Comment

You could use a baitcaster, you would just need a lot of splitshot.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 For you sir!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rocky d bashaw View Post
                      thanks guys, i wanted a bait caster combo but i do mostly crappie fishing at the lake around shore line, i dont have boat.i gave baitcasting up and went back to spinning reels.
                      I use a Stcroix light weight med action baitcaster with a Diawa AIRD Coastal 100HA and love it. I also have an ultra light Stcroix spinning rod but usually go to the baitcaster, because I enjoy baitcasters.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        I use 2 spinning outfits, one ultra lite with 4lb. line and one lite action with 6lb. line.
                        I use a Stcroix light baitcasting rod and a diawa coastal 100 HA, with usually a small float and a 1/16 oz. jig, works freat

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad