Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is snagging fish ethical? I don't personally have a problem with it if you eat the fish. Some people actually use this for sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is snagging fish ethical? I don't personally have a problem with it if you eat the fish. Some people actually use this for sport

Is snagging fish ethical? I don't personally have a problem with it if you eat the fish. Some people actually use this for sport. I don't personally practice this technique intentionally. What do you guys think?

I think if it happens it happens, I would just eat it. But if you do it for a sport then its unethical.

Comment

i personally haven't don't it and don't plan to, but if it does happen on accident, i would eat it, but if that is the way that you actually fish, i find it unethical. It could also promote non hunter/fishers in the way that it seems crueler and most likely promotes more pain to the fish.

Comment

Not even legal in some places, but i'd say it's not ethical to do intentionally. Then again, who am i to judge.

Comment

I agree totally. It does occasionally happen, but I wouldn't do it for sport.

Comment

if i was starving i would do it but i have food so i woud not it but if it is a accident you shoud eat it

Comment

Impossible to plan on doing it so I don't worry about it. Snagging is the only method used to 'catch' paddlefish.

Comment

Some people do intentionally do it with Salmon during the spawn run. This is both unetical , and in some places illegal.

Comment

Here in Ohio you have to release snagged fish. When the walleyes are running in the Maumee river I have caught fish that had been snagged three and four times. It really sucks when you get one in the gut and you know it will be dead within a few minutes, but by law you have to throw it back.

Comment

i dont think so but sometimes it happens by accident. one time while on a canoe i kept runnin into a crappie school by aaccident a caught like three.BUT I WOULDNT DO IT ON PURPOSE

Comment

When you gotta eat, you gotta eat, but otherwise, don't ever do it.

Comment

snagging fish in my opinion will never hurt the fish population as long as state goverments regulate it by laws. so i don't think it is un-ethical. Noodling on the other hand is wipeing out catfish populations. state goverments are not aware of how easy it is and people are loading up by the truck loads in tennesse,kentucky,and mississippi. i know i have done it!

Comment

I snag fish in the ocean all the time. They are Pogies and we use them as live bait for big stripers. You actually have to snag them or catch them in a net because they will not eat a lure or a jig...they are vegetarians.

Comment

Jim in MO is right, here in Missouri, Spoonbill or paddlefish have their own snagging season. It's the only way to catch them, and for as long as I can remember, there's been a season, so it can't be negatively impacting the population too much.

Comment

I snag all the time , it's fun and i eat everything i catch , usually blue cats. I thing most people don't like it because you have to do a little work to catch something so they talk bad about people who do it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad