Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay in late 1985 I bought a new 4x4 and proceeded to drive it into the Eielson Outback. Remember those roads? Well if you kept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay in late 1985 I bought a new 4x4 and proceeded to drive it into the Eielson Outback. Remember those roads? Well if you kept

Clay in late 1985 I bought a new 4x4 and proceeded to drive it into the Eielson Outback. Remember those roads? Well if you kept going left you eventually wound up at a dead end within walking distance of a good sized creek that flowed into the Chena river. The last 1/4 mile of road was downhill. Well I parked and went fishing and caught a limit of nice big Grayling and saw a large dead spawned out king. Anyhow it rained a little bit and made that road slippery as Owl hocky. I couldn't get out and 2 more rigs came down the hill and got stuck there with me. We built a fire and dined on my Grayling cooked over Alder wood. The road finally dried a little overnight and we all got out using 4WD. My ? is what was the name of that creek? I can't remember it. Wish to heck I had taken photos.

del, was it the south fork of the chena?

Comment

its could also possibly be Moose Creek which flows right through eielson...

Comment

great story del.

Comment

HEY OLD TIMER WHERE YOU BEEN!!!! I know exactly where you’re talking about and if I remember right its South Fork Creek. I dropped down on that trail with my 85 Toyota 4x4 pick up in July 86 and when I turned around to head back up, someone putt sticks longwise across for added traction which aided until one of the sticks got caught in my emergency brake cable causing my rear brakes to lock up but I was able in low range to continue without stopping. That October I dropped down with my GMC 3/4ton 4x4 Diesel and when I started back up, my front right would not engage for 4x4. I removed the locking hub and found I installed the sliding lock gear backwards. It worked fine going back up without a slip. In April 90 2 Airmen with their wives in two 4x4 trucks got stuck just before you start going back up those switchbacks on that same trail. I got a call from a person that knew me to go rescue them. Fort Wainwright Chopper couldn’t fly because of ice fog and Eielson didn’t have any knowledge on how to rescue them. So I tossed a bunch of blankets in my Toyota and headed out against orders from the Security Police to return to my house. Ten minutes later after they found out who I was, instructed me to meet their rover at the intersection of the trail. I told the Airmen driving a Jeep Cherokee with street tires stay on top and do not to go down the hill. When I was bringing the 4 people back out, there was the Airmen stuck 100 yards from the top. Pushed the Cherokee off the road and turned around at the top and winched him out.

Emailme when you get a chance!
          [email protected]

Comment

Hate to tell you this but one of those guys had a chainsaw and I used it to cut the willows growing along the road and laid them across the ruts for traction. One guy had a jeep with his wife and kids in it. We was able to get them up the hill by pushing, etc. Other 2 and I spent the night eating Grayling with no salt. Had mud tires on my truck too but that road was steep and very slick. I remember the turnaround spot was level enough to get a running start and there was a hell of a gully on the right side of the trail.

Comment

That fall I wanted a Grizzley bear so drove back out and took the right fork in the road. After a few miles came to the top of an obviously steeeep downgrade. Got out and gave it a look. Decided if others made it so could I and down I went. Near the bottom holy shiite the road was washed out until it was a huge gully with barely enough room on one side for my tires. Thank God the bank didn't cave I'd probly still be there upside down. Decided the best thing was to get the heck out of there if I could. So went to low range 4wd and started back up wheels spinning and throwing rocks all the way. A hundred yards from the top started losing ground and had to stop! Got out and packed rocks under the tires and somehow got it moving again. NEVER did I drive that road again. BTW I saw a huge bull moose in that nearby impact area while checking the boundary signs from a UH-1.

Comment

Funny how close we came to bumpng into each other!

Comment

Del, Awesome stories!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad