Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there Grayling (Fish not city) in any state besides Alaska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there Grayling (Fish not city) in any state besides Alaska?

Is there Grayling (Fish not city) in any state besides Alaska?

wallofsam - There are some grayling in western US & Canada. Here is a post made by Ralph Tingley at MSU on michigan-sportsman:

My name is Ralph Tingley and as has been mentioned, I am conducting a study to examine whether habitat suitable for the Arctic grayling exists within Michigan. I was very happy to recieve support from the Paul H Young Chapter of TU and I am continuing my research this year at MSU. The project itself aims to help expand ways to examine habitat for threatened or locally extinct species, without immense time or cost. If you would like to know more about the project or the history of the grayling within Michigan, feel free to send me a message and we can chat. I like to know what interest lies within the state in regards to the Arctic grayling. Currently, no grayling are being raised within Michigan(to the best of my knowledge), but they were onced raised at the Grayling Fish Hatchery. Most of the streams above the Muskegon River were believed to support grayling historically, while only one stream (the Otter River) in the U.P. was known to. This was actually the last stream in Michigan to hold the species as well. The reasons for extinction of the species vary, but most likely have to do with many of the reasons mentioned in this thread.

Comment

Wyoming has some and I think parts of Montana.

Comment

The Big Hole River just north of Wisdom, Montana has a closely guarded population of Grayling. No fishing allowed , I believe.

Comment

HERES THE SCOOP FROM THE COOP!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Grayling

Comment

I believe there are some in Colorado, but only in a couple of lakes.

Comment

That post gets around. The Arctic grayling has population in several areas of Canada as well as Montana. In Montana major conservation efforts have taken place to help save the last native fluvial population in the lower 48. These efforts are spearheaded by FWP and local landowners working together and they have probably kept it from disappearing. Small lakes in several states contain the species as well, however most are not self sustaining.

In the lower 48, the species only existed historically in Montana and Michigan, which are believed to be glacial refuges.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad