Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With the weather getting hot and the "dog days of summer" getting closer, what are some summer tactics you guys use to catch fre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the weather getting hot and the "dog days of summer" getting closer, what are some summer tactics you guys use to catch fre

With the weather getting hot and the "dog days of summer" getting closer, what are some summer tactics you guys use to catch fresh water fish?

Telephone them!

Comment

I punch matted vegetation with a pegged texas rig, and I use lures right on the outside of the vegetation because the bass are underneath it to keep cool. So basically, i just fish as close to the vegetation and shady places as possible

Comment

Clay Cooper, get over it.

The lures generally stay the same, just the colors change when fishing fresh water lakes, rivers. So, from Opening Day til mid June, my best strikes and hook-ups come off of green frog patterns on Flat Fish, Kastmasters, Mepps, Rapala or any diver style spinner bait or spoon lures. The Needlefish in green with yellow spots put alot of fish in my boat.

Now as it warms up, I do well with the flourescent pink, red or orange patterns in the same lure. I also use the dark, overcast vs. bright sun or shade formula in fresh water.

As in fly fishing, if you're not getting bumps or strikes, go down a size. With hard lures, say you're using 1/4oz patterns, stick with the same color, just go down to 1/8oz. Usually works for me. Good luck, hope this helps.

Now if you're fly fishing...whole 'nother deal.

Comment

During the heat of the day fish deep water or heavy structure areas as said above fish are trying to stay cool. During this time they also are probably not going to be very active during this time of day so I use small slow baits and also will use some "agitation baits" that will draw strikes from the fish.

During the late evening and early mornings I fish spinners and topwater baits in more shallow water where the fish come in to feed more aggressively when it is not quite as hot. shallows along the edges of deep water or heavy cover/structure should have the most bass holding in these areas. Also look for areas with large population of bait fish and fish these areas during this time of day.

Comment

live bait or a bucktail are my trusted methods.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the great info. Well everyone but smart a** Clay!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad