Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a rather large ditch in the woods behind my house. At the deepest it is about 5 feet deep. Could I "stock" it with fish s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a rather large ditch in the woods behind my house. At the deepest it is about 5 feet deep. Could I "stock" it with fish s

I have a rather large ditch in the woods behind my house. At the deepest it is about 5 feet deep. Could I "stock" it with fish such as carp, bass, or bream? Would they survive? If so, how would I go about doing it?

Does the ditch hold water naturally? If not you'll have to have clay brought in and laid and compacted by a professional excavator. You could also buy a rubber pond membrane to line it and cover it with fill dirt and stone. The fish will survive as long as the pond is maintained and doesn't remain stagnate to long. I would suggest you talk to a professional pond builder or if your a DIY'er buy an aquascape pond kit.

Comment

The ditch holds water all year round. It almost always flows at a slow rate. I will be able to catch bass and bream to stock, but where can I get some carp of some sort?

Comment

5ft deep, they wouldn't survive the winter

Comment

where does the water flow into or from you cannot stock a ditch that meets with a stream or lake? There are sties for fish farms online judging by your screen name your from georgia, like this

http://www.kens-fishfarm.com/c-2-fish-for-pond-stocking.aspx

Comment

If you live in GA you can probably get sunfish to live in the "Ditch" Why would you want to stock carp in it?

If you live in GA be aware that it is illegal to transport (stock) wild caught fish from one body of water to another.

Comment

State Law prohibits "the transportation of live game fish from one body of water to another" as Bee suggests. That's nationwide.

Hypothetically, if you were allowed to plant wild or hatcheries, the carp would soon devastate whatever fish population once co-existed with it. Proven.

You are better off not paying the fine and fishing for carp in swamps, river channels, cuts or most any ditch other than your own. Fish Legally. And carp will survive in less than five feet of water through out the year depending on climate. Our "Nevada Bonefish" are the "X-Men" of their habitat.

What to use? Carp will gather a mouth full and rise to the surface and blow out what's gathered and then selectively chomp on nymphs, diggers or what have you in their swamp. Ever seen the swamp water "boil?" That's what's going on...carp chosing what and what not to eat.

Comment

I did not know about the fish transportation law. Thanks for pointing that out. I definetly will not do this then. It was just an idea that I was wondering about.

Comment

I did not know about the fish transportation law. Thanks for pointing that out. I definetly will not do this then. It was just an idea that I was wondering about.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad