Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I put 4 lb fluoro on a cane pole to catch bluegill? I am attaching the line where the reel should go. Also, what are some id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I put 4 lb fluoro on a cane pole to catch bluegill? I am attaching the line where the reel should go. Also, what are some id

Can I put 4 lb fluoro on a cane pole to catch bluegill? I am attaching the line where the reel should go. Also, what are some ideal baits to catch bluegill off of the banks?

Sure you can.I use bits of worms small jiggs tiny flies,etc.Good luck with this!

Comment

Thanks a lot John. What flies would you suggest for those bluegills?

Comment

I use small ice fishing flies.And renagades,Ants,ect.The smaller the better.

Comment

Sure, you can use 4# fluro on your cane. If you're looking for actual bait, you can't do much better than crickets, but wigglers, maggots, meal worms and wasp larvae will work just fine. Use a #6 or #8 hook with a small split shot 4 to 6 inches above the hook and a small bobber. Good luck and enjoy the fish fry afterwards.

Comment

When attaching the line to the pole, if there is an eye on the tip, all you need to do is tie the line to that eye using an appropriate knot such as a uni-knot. Make the line about as long as the rod, maybe a tad longer.

Comment

Something else that goes good with a cane pole is the quill out of a feather. You use it for a bobber.

Comment

You can use just about anything they can put in their mouths, but worms are the best.

Comment

yes you can and good baits are crickets, worms, horse flies, may flies and wax worms.

Comment

yeah 4 lbs fine. I like beetle spins, jigs(parrot head green works well) bobber with small spilt shot and a #6 hook with wasp, worms,crickets, grasshoppers etc. I also like smaller sized flies.

Comment

For bluegill there is no better bait than night crawlers. However, bluegill have perfected the art of bait stealing and they like to "suck" worms right off the hook. Rig the worm in such a way that make it a little harder for them to do this. Also, use a bobber to control your depth, and have fun reeling them in!

Comment

Try attracting them with bread crumbs. I pinch off a piece of bread, roll it in my fingers to compress it and toss it into the pond. I do this with a few slices of fresh bread and before long lots of blue gills are there in a feeding frenzy.This attracts the bigger blue gills and makes for some mighty fine fishing. Once they are gathered, I typically use small pieces of red worm on small hooks. They usually nail them before they can drop in the water.

Comment

dito to all above

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad