Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any information of fly fishing for muskie? leaders, flies, and tactics

any information of fly fishing for muskie? leaders, flies, and tactics

Why would the top predator be interested in eating anything that is small enough to be cast with a flyrod? Try a 2 pound sucker and a 4/0 Penn reel on a broomstick.

Comment

rule of predation the animal that is the predator must obtain enough or more sustenance from its prey than it takes to obtain there prey. Basically saying big lures catch big fish. Not saying muskie don't eat bug matter i would say it is very limited and the fish work very little more than just opening there mouth as bugs float in.

Comment

you do know that very large flies can be tied and cast on a fly rod right? fly fishing isn't strictly bugs...

Comment

yup i did know that. i asked an older man up the road from me who fishes muskie all day just about everyday he casts a fly rod once and awhile says you need a heavy fly he uses what he calls salt water flys picks them up from a fly shop about an hour south of where we live. i did understand how effective it actually is for muskie until today but the rule of predation still holds true big flys catch big fish. i can tell you his favorite fly color and it has very green tail with a red front and what looks like a yellow eye. he also throws 1 that looks like a mouse. im robbing knowledge right know but im sure it will help.

Comment

it helps a little thank you

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad