Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have an old bamboo rod and I wanted to see if I could rig it and fish it like a cane pole for bluegill, like in the gun nuts i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an old bamboo rod and I wanted to see if I could rig it and fish it like a cane pole for bluegill, like in the gun nuts i

I have an old bamboo rod and I wanted to see if I could rig it and fish it like a cane pole for bluegill, like in the gun nuts issue for the perfect Fourth of July party. The rod has guides. How would I tie line on there and does anyone have any good rigs? I have never fished with a cane pole before, so this is new to me.

I dont know about setting up the rods. but for a rig for bluegill i would suggest using the mini shy bite floats. i use those specifically for bluegill and i can detect the slightest nibble. for line i would 4lb p line. speaking of bluegill i just caught a nice 1lb one

Comment

Thanks J4. Oddly enough, I just purchased 4 lb flourocarbon p line specifically for this. I still need to know how to rig the line on the pole.

Comment

sure thing. just so you know i am no psychic

Comment

Measure off 1 and 1/2 times the length of the rod and cut a piece of line, tie it to the tip of the rod and go fishing. One type of flip is to slowy raise the tip of the rod stright up and just flip the rod tip back down to the water. You can fly fish that way or with crickets. If that is an old split bambo rod though, I would put it up as a keep sake and buy a 5 buck new cane pole.

Comment

Do you just tie a hook on there and bait it, or do you have special rigs? The bluegills I fish for don't bite crickets, so should I just use worms?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad