Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the lowest pound test line that you would use to muskie fish..i mean absolute lowest...because i am using a bass rig...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the lowest pound test line that you would use to muskie fish..i mean absolute lowest...because i am using a bass rig...

What is the lowest pound test line that you would use to muskie fish..i mean absolute lowest...because i am using a bass rig...

20 or 30

Comment

muskie with a bass rig, are you crazy, i wouldnt even use a bass rig for pike

Comment

If you are fishing on the open water of a lake, you can play them very well. Consequently, lighter line works pretty well. I haven't actually caught a musky cause I fish for northerns. I use 10# line for them and have probably caught more than a thousand over 15 pounds with many being in the 25#-30# class. I've never lost one of these big guys due to a broken line. Muskies demand 17# or 20# line though because they can be big. If you are fishing a trashy river, I would kick it right up to 25#. Just remember to use steel leaders so they don't cut your line.

Comment

20lb. if it was braid.

Comment

20lb. if it was braid.

Comment

I would use 20pound tire line by berkly

Comment

Dude you go right on with your fishing and use 20pound test

Comment

20 would work but your are really going to have to play them out. If your going to get in to it more you should think about getting a new set up. Gander Mountain has a pike and muskie combo for like 100 buck.

Comment

20lb is plenty, but it comes with some things you need to know. First, a steel leader is an absolute must! Second, big fish fighting strategies. Most fisherman don't know how to put 5 lbs of pressure on a fish. They are really good at putting 50+ lbs of pressure on the line though...SO look up tarpon fighting strategies...keep the rod low and as parrallel with the water as possible, basically, watch it and learn. Once you've mastered that you can get away with less than 20 and not overplay the fish. So 20 is enough, once you learn how to use it.

Comment

o, if you are fishing heavy structure you'll want much heavier line

Comment

Depends on if your willing to lose a muskie while targeting bass. If you are fishing both I would use a wire leader for sure, and no less than 10lb fire line. My choice anyway. If you are targeting bass and just wishing for musky at the same time, I would lose the wire leader and use at least 20-25lb fire line. Just my opinion.

Comment

i have 3 poles set up at the moment that i can use for muskie i mainly use the one which has 50# on it. The other two has 20# muskie will fight like crazy and are almost smart about it you have to set the hook hard to get it in the lips because they can just release there bite mid fight and get off very easily. also you cannot horse a fish above 35inchs in with 20# line. i have an ultralite i use for bass with 8lb on it. My opinion muskie are often times in different types of water than bass are in.

Comment

I caught a 51" 29# muskie on 6-21-10 using 10# test Trilene low-vis green line,with a Fireline leader.
                            Seems they can see a steel leader easier than they can see the smoke/gray color Fireline. I caught this fish in an open water area of the lake,which is where you can get away with light line. When fishing around cover, I use 25# test,and the Fireline leader.

The fish was caught trolling a Rapala TT20 crankbait, in perch pattern, the short, fat one, not the long one.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to South Dakota leads the way.
                              by FirstBubba
                              Best of my recollection lab12, Trump offered Nat'l Guard.
                              Wash and Ore governors said, "No way!"
                              Seattle, Portland mayors threw...
                              Today, 05:49 PM
                            • South Dakota leads the way.
                              by labrador12
                              South Dakota didn't lock down. South Dakota continued with open schools. South Dakota even held the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. South Dakota maintained...
                              02-27-2021, 07:10 PM
                            • Reply to March 4th came and went. Nobody died!
                              by crm3006
                              Doubt seriously if those were lurch's real medals he threw over the White House fence. After all, he can't say three words without saying "I served...
                              Today, 04:39 PM
                            • March 4th came and went. Nobody died!
                              by labrador12
                              Where was the revolution? MSNBC and Yahoo News called March 4th the end day. The horn head Neanderthals were supposed to come riding their mighty steeds...
                              Yesterday, 06:19 AM
                            • Reply to South Dakota leads the way.
                              by 99explorer
                              PigHunter's post count is now down to 5420 as he keeps deleting comments.
                              Given his history of point-cheating over at Outdoor Life, he is surely
                              Today, 04:12 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X