Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was at Wal-Mart today & noticed all the red hooks and fishing line. What is the purpose of this. I've used braided red line on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was at Wal-Mart today & noticed all the red hooks and fishing line. What is the purpose of this. I've used braided red line on

I was at Wal-Mart today & noticed all the red hooks and fishing line. What is the purpose of this. I've used braided red line on my tip-ups and I didn't notice anything. Is it supposed to represent blood? Do you think it is beneficial or just a fad?

I've had good luck with the red gamakatsu hooks for channel cat, but it could've just been coincidence.I also like to use the red tackle for walleye since they see in red and green only.

Comment

It's a gimmick designed to catch a single species Gulibis fishermanus, or the common fisherman.

Comment

John Merwin (Honest Angler) posted a good piece on red back in Sept/08 - Red is a Gimmick. Worth looking up. I think he hit it on the bloody red head.

Comment

Some say red is invisible underwater because it's the first wavelengths that water filters out. Really, it's just as visible as any other line.

Also, the blood thing. That could actually help. Plus red makes some fish "anger-strike," like a Dardevle for pike.

Comment

red line is actually worse since it appears as a sort of grey color in the water meaning that it can actually deter wary fish

Comment

Apparently, the red hooks are kinda supposed to represent blood. I have heard good and bad from these. I think most of it is not beneficial , but i dont think it will deter wary fish either. So if the re hoooks are cheaper, id go with them, otherwise dont bother.

Comment

Well I'll tell you I went to Walley World the other day and bought red trout hooks that worked a lot better than the gold ones. Probably just luck though.

Comment

My dad and I fish for stripers in lake Lanier GA. We read these advertisements about how red hooks and weights would really increase our chances of catching fish. We used them twice and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. I also have friend that is a guide on Lanier, he said it doesn't do anything at all it just is a way to make money selling stuff to fishermen.

Comment

Golfing Sportsman hit right on. It is just a great marketing technique to make us the fisherman purchase it. As MLH referenced there have been studies done that prove that fish do not bite more with a red hook vs a regular hook. But I am not going to lie, when you look in my tackle box I have all kinds of red hooks, so they sure got me to bite on that gimmick.

Comment

the red hooka are suposed to look like blood, but I think that cajun red line disapears in the water, but i could be wrong.

Comment

I see no difference in the number of fish i catch when using red vs. black hooks with my soft plastics.

Comment

Gimmick! But, I like red cajun line because it is so limp and rarely tangles.

Comment

By the rest of the posts, it appears you should leave it up to your own opinion.

I will tell you my opinion (fact). Myself and 4 other fishing buddies of mine wanted to determine this for ourselves a few years back.

We did an experiment. Took all the same lure, Jr Thunderstick (same colors). Two of us changed out our stock trebles with red. The other three kept the stock.

We ran our experiment in the fall when the walleye start chasing the shad into the shallows at night (Oneida Lake). We Waded out and got in a line along a river channel. We were approx 20 ft apart. The order of the colors was B,R,B,R,B. We each fished for 1 hour. The 2 lures with the red hooks out fished the stock hooks 16 fish to 4. Now keep in mind that there was 1 extra stock hooked lure being used.

Now we switched lures around. R,B,B,B,R. Same result red, extremely out fished stock. So now thinking it may be the retrive of the anglers. We switched poles. Same results.

So in closing, use what you want. But 90% of my lures have been changed over to red.

I also have another little trick that I do which seems to help me "out" fish my friends. I will tie a single piece of blood red string about 3" long to each treble. It seems to work, 9 times outta 10 I come home with more fish. But thats my secret so ssshhhhhhh

Comment

Agreed with Golfing Sportsman answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad