Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have any old family recipes for fish and game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have any old family recipes for fish and game.

Anybody have any old family recipes for fish and game.

My mom was completely clueless when it came to cooking venison, mainly because away back then there were so few deer here and nobody told her to trim off all the fat. I remember some truly awful venison roasts, but she did learn to make some truly outstanding barbeque sauce to cover the taste. I'm sorry I don't have that recipe, but it tasted an awful lot like Bullseys.

The only wild game recipe that stands out in my memory is squirrels, cut up, floured and fried, then simmered in gravy and served with mashed potatoes. Yum!

Fish was always fried (in hog fat) and served with hush puppies---didn't matter what kind of fish.

Comment

Sorry, that's Bullseye b-b-q sauce.

Comment

I have always cooked and also marinated my venison steaks with teriyaki, soy sauce, and or Worchestershire sauce.

Everytime I try something different with more amounts of garlic, onion, or italian seasoning, but it always comes out amazing.

The best recipe I have come up with is some amazing deer steak sandwhiches. Take some backstrap, roundsteak, or chops and cook them in a medium frying pan covered in water, and also teriyaki sauce. Add salt, garlic salt, or whatever you personaly like.

Cook it down for an hour, occasionally adding more water or more teriyaki sauce.

After an hour, take out steaks, or what have you, and cut the meat into strips. Then take the strips and pull it apart as best as you can almost like pulled pork.

Put the meat back into the juices for another hour to cook down, repeating the adding of teriyaki and water.

Buy some good baked buns, fry up some onions, portobella mushrooms, and some Pablano peppers. Green peppers will work well too, but Pablano's add some spice and extra flavor.

Spoon meat onto buns, allowing a little juice to go along. Top with onions, mushrooms, and peppers, and spread on some nacho cheese sauce from a jar.

It is a personal hit for every Super Bowl party I have thrown.

Comment

I made this recipe my self, it's lemon pepper fish. You will need a lemon or lemon juice, fresh pepper, oil, and breadcrumbs or shake n' bake. Coat the fish in the breadcrumbs or whatever you are using and put it into the oil, then add the lemon and pepper.

Comment

Take a brush and lightly coat your fish with your favorite bbq sauce, then toss in flour on both sides, egg, then bread crumbs. Fry in frying pan with hot oil for 2-4 minutes on each side or until done.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How Many Died
              by CD2
              Drug addicts are like drowning people.
              They will probably pull you under if you get close to try and save them.
              They are pulling society down...
              Today, 02:38 AM
            • How Many Died
              by jhjimbo
              On Tucker Carlson last night he said 750,000 died from Opioid overdose in a ten year period. More then WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam, combined.
              01-16-2020, 11:04 AM
            • Reply to How Many Died
              by CD2
              You are right, back in the day, 30 yrs or so ago, a guy could be a bit of a dumbarse and clean himself up, get a factory job or education and be civilized/normal....
              Today, 02:36 AM
            • Reply to How Many Died
              by CD2
              Kids today, most of them, have way over inflated egos.
              Mommy and daddy have told them they're special, when they aren't.
              Social media warps...
              Today, 02:22 AM
            • Reply to How Many Died
              by CD2
              Blue collar town.
              Urbans and hillbillies (democrats).
              There are some good kids.
              But the public school system has mostly liberal teachers/admins...
              Today, 02:18 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X