Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, all you carp experts out there, please settle this once and for all. Are they edible, are they good on the table, and if so

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If done right carp are good, it's the buffalo taken from the rivers that make the best sandwich.

Comment

you can eat carp... are they good? no
      asians eat them.
      good luck fishin
      fishin kid

Comment

I've had smoked carp,in Illinois, but only carp that had been caught in the very early spring after the ice was off the river. FANTASTIC !
        I've also had smoked mullet in Florida, smoked salmon and smoked catfish. All very good and worthwhile going back for seconds and third helpings.

Comment

I've heard of people keeping them alive in a 50 gallon drum of clean water for a day or two after they catch them and just feeding them lettuce. It's supposed to make the carp not taste so carpy. Never tried it though.

Comment

smoke it

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
              Regular carp taste like crap. Bighead carp and grass carp that are now taking over the Mississippi/Missouri rivers are GREAT to eat. We had a cook-off with a blind taste test among walleye, red snapper, grouper and these carp. Many preferred the carp above the others. I still favor grouper myself but cooked the same way, it is hard to tell the difference. I have some carp bow hunting pics on my profile and all those shown were eaten in one of the many fish feeds we support.
              Dakotaman,

I know this was an old post about carp-eating, but I'm an SD-local writer/TV producer and I'm interested in doing a story on people who enjoy eating different types of carp and who prepare it different ways (smoking, etc.). If you have any ideas, feel free to let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad