Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, all you carp experts out there, please settle this once and for all. Are they edible, are they good on the table, and if so

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, all you carp experts out there, please settle this once and for all. Are they edible, are they good on the table, and if so

Ok, all you carp experts out there, please settle this once and for all. Are they edible, are they good on the table, and if so, is it all in knowning what you're doing, or is the old joke about fixing them on a board and then eating the board accurate? Thanks, and tight lines!

Carp SUCKS! but when I was a kid in Ca I did make some money selling them to the Asian fish markets.

Comment

aint never tryed it but my dad told me a storie bout them." this guy has a japanies (spelling) restraunte and just had carp on the menu and nobody ate it. So he changed to name to cang hi chicken and people can get enouf of it." ps hope it helps RHG

Comment

sorry (cant)

Comment

I had a little smoked carp down in Louisana a while back. I wouldn't say it was great but, it wasn't bad either. LOTS of Y bones!

Comment

In Germany it is "Considered" a delicacy BUT the boil it!
            BARF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I have had it smoked, and it's not my fave, but not bad.

Comment

they*

Comment

The "Y" bones can be removed when dressing them. When I was in college my roomie and I used to shoot loads of them by bow fishing. We sold them for .50 cents to $2 each depending on size to a rather sizable group of Vietnamese immigrants who lined tha banks below a local dam.

We also kept a few to throw a fish fry or two. Hungry college kids will eat about anything! Properly filleted by removing the Y bones and the dark lateral line meat they ate pretty good rolled in seasoned corn meal and fried up nice a crispy. I ate some very good smoked carp in England last summer as well.

Comment

I don't consider myself an expert, but from my limited experience, I have to agree with the concensus--edible, but not "good" for the table.

Comment

Folks, I have turned plenty of people on to them. It is in the cleaning and preperation. Some carp will not taste good becaue of what they have been eating, but on average the ones I get in south Alabama are good. When you clean them, only use the loin and never ever cut into the stomach cavity. Cut all the dark vein meat COMPLETELY away. Soak in beer and ice over night, and then cook. They will fry up good with the proper seasoning, but they grill a lot better wrapped in foil.

Comment

santa
                      when I get soaked in beer any thing tastes good.

Comment

Carp are very good if caught from clean water, and prepared right. By prepared right, I don't mean like you would clean and fry regular fish. There is a way to pressure cook them, bones and all, and then can them. After that, the carp can be made into fish patties, like canned salmon, and are very tasty when egg, onion and spices are added.

Comment

Carp ... great to turn over in the garden for fertilizer. If I eat another it will be deep fried ... with lots of hot sauce. As I have said before, I tried it in a real French restaurant, figuring if anyone could make carp taste good it would be the French. They can't.

Never tried Asian carp, though. If enough people keep saying that it is good, I'll try it.

Comment

I have no idea how they prepared it, but as a kid I got fifty cents a fish selling carp to the Russian immigrants

Comment

Regular carp taste like crap. Bighead carp and grass carp that are now taking over the Mississippi/Missouri rivers are GREAT to eat. We had a cook-off with a blind taste test among walleye, red snapper, grouper and these carp. Many preferred the carp above the others. I still favor grouper myself but cooked the same way, it is hard to tell the difference. I have some carp bow hunting pics on my profile and all those shown were eaten in one of the many fish feeds we support.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Clan of the Cave Bear
                                by MattM37
                                Have any of you read this? All I remembered was the cheeseball movie starring Darryl Hannah, but on a whim I grabbed the paperback yesterday from the...
                                Today, 07:55 PM
                              • Reply to Clan of the Cave Bear
                                by FirstBubba
                                Just completed "Angels in the Sky" by Robert Gandt.
                                How a band of volunteer airmen saved the new state of Israel.

"The...
                                Today, 09:39 PM
                              • Tikka T3x - 300WM - Why 24” 1:11 twist barrel?
                                by Gvanwage
                                Someone please school me on this!

I am in the market for a 300 WinMag and totally new to the caliber/cartridge. I love the Look, feel,...
                                Yesterday, 01:18 PM
                              • Reply to Tikka T3x - 300WM - Why 24” 1:11 twist barrel?
                                by PAShooter
                                I have read where shooters have had success with 200 gr. Accubonds and 200 gr ELDX in the 1-11 twist Tikka. There are some fine bullets in the 30 caliber...
                                Today, 05:10 PM
                              • Contaminants
                                by MattM37
                                How are the waters in your area? Do you get to each much fresh fish?

Most of my local waters aren't even listed on the state health...
                                Today, 04:54 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X