Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey do catfish stings or pricks hurt my dad says they "sting you" with there antena kinda things but does it hurt (the biggest c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey do catfish stings or pricks hurt my dad says they "sting you" with there antena kinda things but does it hurt (the biggest c

hey do catfish stings or pricks hurt my dad says they "sting you" with there antena kinda things but does it hurt (the biggest catfish out of that pond was 6 inches) will that hurt a 2-6 inch catfish "sting" hurt?

yes the catfish prick hurts, their whiskers arnt what get you its the 2 fins on the side and the one on top.

Comment

its actually a bone the smaller ones may hurt more because it like a thin needle and pierce more rapidly and deep. It is so the fish are hard to swallow by bigger fish. The cut can get infected simply because it goes deep and obviously the fish are not clean of bacteria. this is possibly where the sting idea comes from.

Comment

It hurts like a mother.... it sounds gross but pee on it, the ammonia in pee neutralizes the toxin you get from a fin prick.

Comment

You can tell someone that fire hurts, but until you stick your hand into the fire and get burned, you do not understand the pain. Catfish finns hurt when they break the skin, but they can cause discomfort just by rubbing across the skin. Common "cures" are rubbing some of the slime off the skin of the fish on it, meat tenderizer, calamine lotion, uratic acid, benadryl, Anbesol, and with bad reactions - Epi Pins.

Comment

When the fin puncture your skin they carry toxins from the skin's mucus into the wound and that is what hurts and becomes infected. Carry pliers or something similar for the unhooking.

Comment

Get someone who knows how to handle them and learn from them. Beats learning this lesson the hard way. They can make you MISERABLE!

Comment

The three spines on a catfish have venom that cause a painful "sting". It isn't too bad but after getting one you will be much more careful when you handle them. To pick up a catfish, put your hand over its face from the front and curl your thumb and forefinger around behind the side spine so your thumb and forefinger meet under its belly. The inside of your hand between the thumb and forefinger will rest just ahead of the back spine. This way, none of the spines can hit you no matter how much it flops; you have a solid grip on it so it won't wiggle in position to sting you.

Comment

I grasp smaller catfish from the bottom. putting my thumb in the fishes lower jaw then slipping 2 finger under the pectoral fins. The fish is immoblized and no matter what the fish does, I dont get stuck.

Comment

My cousin got pricked by one, and said that it stung a little. It wouldn't be half as bad as a stingray.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad