Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An outdoors show in the '60s used "Gone fishin' instead of just a-wishin'" for their theme song. Anyone remember the name of th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An outdoors show in the '60s used "Gone fishin' instead of just a-wishin'" for their theme song. Anyone remember the name of th

An outdoors show in the '60s used "Gone fishin' instead of just a-wishin'" for their theme song. Anyone remember the name of the show? It slipped my mind.

I'm way to young to answer this MLH. Ha ha ha...

Comment

Bill Dance's theme song is 'Gone Fishin', may be coincidental though.

Comment

No, but I just listened to Bing Crosby and Louis Armstrong sing it on the net and I like it !!!!

Comment

never heard of it..

Comment

Harold Ensley in Missouri Mostly Lasted into the 80's, I don't know if he is still living or not.

Comment

Just rub it in while you can buckhunter - your turn will come. )

Moishe, you might be right - "The Sportsman's Friend." Makes sense since I lived in Kansas back then. But, I don't remember the lyrics the same. But ... some other memories aren't so clear anymore either.

Comment

MLH,

It was the Sportsman's Friend with Harold Ensley. The show aired down south as well and was a Saturday afternoon favorite of mine when I was a kid. Sorry about the kid part... but it was a long time ago! LOL!

Comment

Sadly, Harold Ensley died in 2005. He was 92 and you can hear an interview with his daughter by going to the NPR website and typing in his name. I grew up watching his program and because of him and my Dad, became an avid fisherwoman! I can still sing "Gone Fishin" and I can see him putting his sign on the mantle to this day. He always ended by saying (after talking about some lake or fish) "That gets my fever up and when Ensley's fever gets up, if anybody asks where he is you tell 'em the last you saw him, he had gone fishin." Gone fishin, instead of just a'wishin.

Comment

I graduated from Junction City Senior High in 1967, Harold Ensley was our speaker. I just remember singing "gone Fishin' instead of just a wishin... Don't remember what he said...

Comment

I lived in Kansas City from 1959 until 1967 and always tried to catch his programs. My dad was a hunter in SouthWest Kansas and told me more than once he thought Harold Ensley had the best job in the World. I had a chance to visit with Harold in Costa Rica while he was filming a show at a Fishing Camp on the Rio Parsmina {sp?] I think it was 1991 or 1992

Comment

Originally posted by buckhunter View Post
                        I'm way to young to answer this MLH. Ha ha ha...
                        All,
                        It was Virgil Ward's Championship fishing show. I do not know about the 60's, but it was definitely on in the 70's. I grew up in the Chicago area, and this show was televised on Saturday mornings. This was DEFINITELY the theme song to his show. Go on YouTube and you can see for yourself.

Comment

All, It was Virgil Ward's Championship fishing show. I do not know about the 60's, but it was definitely on in the 70's. I grew up in the Chicago area, and this show was televised on Saturday mornings. This was DEFINITELY the theme song to his show. Go on YouTube and you can see for yourself.
                          sarondani - 18 Feb 2016 2:00 pm

Comment

"The Sportsman's Friend" with host Harold Ensley. My dad and I always watched it on WIBW 13 TV Topeka, Kansas. "Gone Fishin'... " was the theme song.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad