Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How deep are southern crappies (Central North Carolina Reservoir) and what bank fishing tactics would you recommend? I'm looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How deep are southern crappies (Central North Carolina Reservoir) and what bank fishing tactics would you recommend? I'm looking

How deep are southern crappies (Central North Carolina Reservoir) and what bank fishing tactics would you recommend? I'm looking for a cooler full.

The fish are typically pretty shallow this time of year. With each passing front they will move up and back. A good cold snap can run them back deep for several days. In April they should be in brush along the bank. When the fish are shallow I like to fish small jigs (Hal fly's, Jelly Bellies, Twisters) under a float (18 inches), cast to the brush and logs and use a slow retrieve.

Comment

Temps have been in the high seventies and low eighties the past few days, but thursday, friday, and saturday temps are going to drop to highs in the low 50's. I have some christmas trees I sunk this past winter in about 10 feet of water. Would you say a Crappie minnow amongst them will produce?

Comment

i say NEVER USE A TUBE FROM SHORE! only use them when verticaly jigging, they fall way to fast for most crappie to strike b4 hitting bottom. go with a SUPERLIGHT (1/100 ounce) jig, super fall slow rate = more fish

Comment

What lake are you fishing? I was on high rock both today and yesterday. Yesterday, we caught some slabs in shallow brush, but didn't do to well today. I would keep trying shallow, but with this front coming in, there's no telling. You may have to resort to trolling.

Comment

I'm up at Lake Norman. I've heard High Rock is a great crappie lake, I'll have to venture on down there sometime.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                by PigHunter
                Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                Today, 06:35 PM
              • Handgun Laser Sights
                by PigHunter
                On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                by PigHunter
                Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                Today, 06:32 PM
                by PigHunter
                I know how you feel. There's no way I'b bet my life on a conceal carry without ever firing it. Just this morning, PigHuntress told me she'd been practicing...
                Today, 06:27 PM
              • Reply to Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                by Solitario Lupo
                Jimbo I dont really go for eyes on Erie but that is impressive almost 80 degrees on top and in that depths wonder how cold it gets in that thermocline....
                Today, 06:16 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X