Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what pound line would you use when fishing for big flat head catfish.braided or mono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what pound line would you use when fishing for big flat head catfish.braided or mono

what pound line would you use when fishing for big flat head catfish.braided or mono

I Normally go for 12 or 14 lb Stren extra strength for large catfish.

Comment

I use 65 pound brain (but I fish dams with big weights and big catfish.) small cats, and such 10 pound mono. 20 plus pound cats, 50 braid, atleast.

Comment

20-25 mono and 40-60 in braid. I always use swivels. Most of my catfishin is done with limb lines or trout lines. I set and bait at sunset, then run and rebait at dawn. Limb lines can be put out even if you dont have a boat.

Comment

For flathead catfish, some good stuff to use is Stren low visibility 8-12 pound braided line. If you're going catfishing in an area that's known to have big flathead catfish, I'd go with 20-30 pound line or greater. The other thing to think about is how open the shoreline is. If there are a lot of logs in the water, you might want to go with thicker fishing line. If the water is clear, use a low visibility line, otherwise catfish will not notice the line as much if the water is muddy!!!

Comment

Fo large flatheads I use a 50 pound braid. My regular catfish rigs are filled with 17 lb.

Comment

Depends on what you consider large. I like 35 pound with 60lb fluoro leader to handle abrasion. This should handle anything up to 120 pounds or so. I like to have extra line on the spool unless I am around real trash. If they will get in the trash, I would go with 50lb or 65lb. That way, if they get stuck in something, you can hitch your line to a tractor and drag them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Pernice the fly rod winner View Post
                I use 65 pound brain (but I fish dams with big weights and big catfish.) small cats, and such 10 pound mono. 20 plus pound cats, 50 braid, atleast.
                I use 17lb mono with a 50lb leader. This works great for me. I have caught 50lb flat heads and 45lb blues with no problem

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad