Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been fishing since I was a lil thing, and fly fishing extensively for the last 10 years, but find the urge to finally get i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been fishing since I was a lil thing, and fly fishing extensively for the last 10 years, but find the urge to finally get i

I've been fishing since I was a lil thing, and fly fishing extensively for the last 10 years, but find the urge to finally get into ice fishing. I know it's the end of the season, but can I get some advice as far as analyzing lakes, determining ice thickness, and any pointers on getting started. fyi I live in OH.

I don't ice fish but i know about ice thickness. If it's dark or black don't get near it. If it's light colored it's good. I always carry a stick to poke around with.

Comment

I've been ice fishing for 20 years + and have been on "dark" and "black" ice and it's fine.

As far as icefishing goes though, I sometimes wonder why I do it and am not sure that I'd suggest getting into it.

Comment

Your going to need some short rods and possibly tip-ups, depending on what kind of ice fishing your going to be doing. Next your going to need an ice auger. If you live somewhere like Minnesota where the ice is frequently over three feet thick, you're not going to want to be caught dead with a hand crank auger. I have had an Eskimo auger for over 10 years and it looks just like the ones that Cabelas is currently rolling off the shelves. I works extremely well and will drill 3 feet of ice in about 15 seconds. Your going to want some sort of sonar to find structure and depth. If your on a tight budget, the Fishin Buddy series mounted to a 2x4 to set over your hole will work well. If your a high roller, the Vexillar is the way to go. Once again, depending on your budget, you can get a 5 gallon bucket to sit on, or you could get a pop up ice house with a 20 pound propane tank with a Mr. Heater on it. That should get you started, and your wife good and pissed off.

Comment

The best way to know what you need to get started is to find someone in your area who is willing to take you with them- learn from them. If you can't find anybody, then go to the mom and pop tackle shop in your area. They are usually full of good info.

Comment

Agreed with Charley answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Recoil pads revisited
              by Pmacc60
              Sunday morning and I’m going through rifles because you got me thinking about this. Here is what I came up with, all are current hunting rifles and...
              Today, 08:16 AM
            • Recoil pads revisited
              by dewman
              When I was redoing the base/ring & swivel setup on the old '06 yesterday my pal sitting there with me asked if I was going to add a recoil pad. Probably...
              Today, 07:36 AM
            • Reply to Pelosi and the VP candidate !
              by FirstBubba
              As far as I'm concerned, who-(whom?)ever is selected, if Biden is elected, they will, in time, become an Obama puppet.
              Right now, the push seems...
              Today, 07:57 AM
            • Pelosi and the VP candidate !
              by bowhunter75richard
              Pelosi states that the VP candidate is of no consequence ! Is this largely felt to be true ? In this election, I would think it to be of the utmost...
              Today, 06:38 AM
            • Reply to Winchester Model-12 12 Gauge Shotgun Issue
              by FirstBubba
              RazzRJB, I don't guess it makes much difference why it's missing. LOL! Because it isn't attached, I've had them just "fall" out unnoticed....
              Today, 07:48 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X