Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you guys use for good catfish bait

what do you guys use for good catfish bait

Chicken livers are my go to bait. They are cheap and easy to get to.

Comment

easy to purchase i mean. sorry about that.

Comment

night crawlers or cut up bait fish is what we use. Sometimes we use shiners when we are fishing for big ones.

Comment

Back in the day, we used to toss a can of dog food with holes in it into a spot that might attract some catfish or as we refer to them up here horn pout. Wait until later that afternoon or early evening, and toss a worm on a hook on the bottom. Now we toss the dogfood like chum, and use a worm on a hook set to the bottom.

Comment

Fresh shad caught the same day you fish works best, cut or alive, bluegill a close second.

Comment

Make a nasty, stinky paste. The nastier and stinkier the better. Someone mentioned chicken livers...a pretty basic ingredient. Essential even. But the secret is cheese. It doesn't have to be stinky cheese, because it will be. Mix whatever sounds good or gross together. Put it in a jar or can, covered if you're going for the long marinade, or uncovered for a day out on the roof. Get some of those spongy baits with holes in them made specifically for this stuff and catfish, or just use chunks of sponge. Dip 'em into the goop, let them soak it up. You can also play with the consistency. Anywhere from dipping slime thin to thick pasty baitball is good.

Comment

Night crawlers, chicken liver and cut shad.

Comment

Raw Shrimp

Comment

I caught a 26 in. 10 lb. channel on a chub, and my friends who were with me also caught decent channels and blues with chub.

Comment

I either use cut bait, chicken livers, or shrimp.

Comment

Chicken livers and worms seem to be the best.

Comment

Catfish are like any other fish you gotta match the hatch so to speak.You gotta give them what they are eating if you really want to be consistent.After a late frost and a fairly cold winter I caught some channel cats on nightcrawlers.I decided to see what they'd been eating and in their stomachs each one had a ball of nightcrawlers and directly behind the nightcrawlers was an equal sized ball of rollypollies.They had been eating rollypollies the week before when it was to cold for nightcrawlers to come out.Now, a prespawn male flathead will bite a treble hook if you put it in front of his face.

Comment

i prefer ham. no joke

Comment

I have honestly had the most luck with earthworms when it comes to catfishing. Just load the hook up with as many worms as possible and the catfish see that hunk of food and cant resist. At least i think thats what happens when your fishing.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad