Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently ordered bulk plastic crappie tubes that came dry and stuck together, so i gave them a short spray with vegetable oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently ordered bulk plastic crappie tubes that came dry and stuck together, so i gave them a short spray with vegetable oil

I recently ordered bulk plastic crappie tubes that came dry and stuck together, so i gave them a short spray with vegetable oil to losen them up and keep them from drying. Do fish no like vegetable oil, did i just ruin them?

do fish not*, bad typing

Comment

You should be fine.

Comment

I do not think you have hurt anything.

Comment

Hey if it works good let me know. That might be a secret to great crappie fishing.

Comment

they like it better than WD-40 or other spay oils that you could have used! Like Teufelhunden said keep us posted.

Comment

I doubt u ruined them,keep us posted though....

Comment

You're fine.

Comment

No, like CptBrad and T said the fish will like it. When you fish never use an oil like wd40 but anise or other cooking stuff works.

Comment

me no think so

Comment

THANKs! but i've been using WD40 for ages on my fishing line, i highly recomend it, but i havent had any success with it as an attractant. And the vegetable oil worked great! I was catchin crappie all day off a concrete drain pipe in 5 ft of 37 degree water, it could be luck or i got a secret weapon on my hands.

Comment

i wouldnt think you hurt it but i personally use the fish formula brand crappie attractant when anything like that happens

Comment

Hey!

Good question about the vegatable oil and reaction of fish - I don't think there are any studies on this. But in my opinion, it's fine as long as you don't leave it on the baits too long, especially in a plastic bag or whatever the container. I think there may be something to oil "going rancid" - I'm not sure of the spelling on this - but I have heard that cooking oil can go bad and cause problems in humans - I would think fish would have the same reactions.

Kepp a couple in the oil and let us know how they're working next Spring!

Good fishin

Zee

Comment

It's fine.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad