Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are a few things you guys do in winter to get geared up for the up coming fishing season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are a few things you guys do in winter to get geared up for the up coming fishing season?

What are a few things you guys do in winter to get geared up for the up coming fishing season?

read field & stream and where i'm from we are still doing ice fishing so haven't thought about getting geared up for next season yet.

Comment

You can fish year round in Colorado...so its a constant thing with me

Comment

Change my line on all of my reels and organize my tackle box just to get my hands on my lures!

Comment

I'm with 2pappa!
          plus we work on the boat.

BOO I really have to change the oil and replace wiring...darn I really should put new florr mat and cooler holder and fix the live well...man I got to get to the barn..

Comment

i fish year round so its just a regular thing for me.

Comment

I ice fish a little bit in the winter, but usually respool any reels that might need it, organize my tackle, and do an inventory on hardware I may need to pick up. Pretty much the same as matt and 2Poppa, dreaming of warmer weather and sitting in the boat!

Comment

I organize & inventory my tackle. put new line on my reels. replace lost or low inventory items. shop wally world and other sporting goods depts/stores for clearance sales. read Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, & Bassmasters Magazines.

Comment

I go online and read up on fishing in my area and what has been working for other people...other than that I organize my tackle box time and time again just itching to hit the lake/river

Comment

I go online and read up on fishing in my area and what has been working for other people...other than that I organize my tackle box time and time again just itching to hit the lake/river

Comment

go through my tackle, and then wait till the day i plan on going for the first time and scramble to throw everything in the boat and make a mad dash to the lake, then im set for the season because my boat has enough gear in it to live for year.

Comment

Check or change reel line, sharpen or replace hooks, grease bearings on boat trailers, disassemble and clean reel and reel parts, check eyes on my rods, check spark plugs on boat engines, then give a shot of lube into the cylinder to lube dry rings, Start building new fish attractors and planing where I need to place new sets.

Now is the best time to start moving deer stands, clearing shooting lanes, starting new or breaking in food plots, building new stands.

Comment

When I lived in South Dakota, I would drill holes in the ice and fish through them. Now, living in Georgia, I just keep fishing. I go to bigger and slower lures in the colder water and adjust a few tactics but I'm looking forward to February which is usually my best month for striped bass. They are more concentrated and they notice my big lures among the thousands of bait fish they are chasing.

Comment

hit up all my friends with boats and get all my rod and reels set up how i like them

Comment

cgull nailed it clean and organize everything! there may be species biting in river systems that can open new avenues to pass time while you wait! keep your lines tight

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad