Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Over the years I have seen what was once a florishing ecosystem of fish survive. Now I am not so sure, see we had zebra mussels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over the years I have seen what was once a florishing ecosystem of fish survive. Now I am not so sure, see we had zebra mussels

Over the years I have seen what was once a florishing ecosystem of fish survive. Now I am not so sure, see we had zebra mussels come in. They are an invasive species that takes the sediment out of the water and clears it. Has anyone else had a problem with these mussels?

Some of the Reservoirs in Kansas have been infected. I only fish farm ponds so it doesn't effect me.

Comment

Don't mistake me for an expert or a biologist, but ... one positive is that smallmouth bass fishing in Lakes Erie and St. Clair has improved, seemingly due to zebra mussels cleaning the water.

Quagga mussels are getting a lot more attention lately. Besides their deep water effects on the food chain and water clarity, there is a tie into botulism and potential concentrations of bad chemicals in whatever eats them.

Seems that Lake Michigan gobie population densities are increasing, while alewife and sculpin populations are decreasing, with overall prey fish populations decreasing, affecting salmon, steelhead, and lake trout. Add silver and bighead carp? What a mess. Keep in mind that the lake trout are native and the salmon and steelhead were brought in to eat the invasive alewife. You'd see/smell why if you were at a beach during an alewife die off.

Comment

Not an expert either....but Zebra mussels are a big problem all over.

Comment

YEP, Marine buoys get so loaded up with Zebra mussels they sink, all because for one thing boaters don’t clean their engines like they should.

GAS AND GO BABY!

Comment

Quagga muscles are getting all of the attention here- they showed up in the summer. They seem to be far more problematic.

Comment

me bein' from michigan i deal with 'um alot but i think it helped the fishery with clean water

Comment

I think they are a problem, but havent seen any huge effects yet.

Comment

The great lakes are loaded with the little buggers. It gets to the point where you can't swim cuz you stand up and cut your feet up.

Comment

Not yet!

Comment

Not yet!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rip -rbg
                        by 99explorer
                        I just learned of a CIA report that Vladimir Putin himself is directing the Russian interference in our 2020 Presidential election, which was crowded...
                        Today, 09:09 PM
                      • Rip -rbg
                        by fitch270
                        2020 adding to it's bag of tricks....
                        09-18-2020, 09:26 PM
                      • Reply to Bows
                        by PigHunter
                        I hear ya! I finally got around to adjusting the new sight on my 90's vintage PSE. It's been restrung too. I've used a crossbow for the last 7 seasons...
                        Today, 08:45 PM
                      • Bows
                        by Danbo
                        Started practicing with my bow.
                        The deer don't stand a chance 😎
                        Today, 08:23 PM
                      • Reply to Rip -rbg
                        by Pmacc60
                        The public can focus on two different things at once ! Again liberal nonsense , put it out there and we can see what the president is planning for the...
                        Today, 08:43 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X