Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experiences with Asian carp or thoughts on how to deal with the buggers? I only hear about them in the Illinois River since

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experiences with Asian carp or thoughts on how to deal with the buggers? I only hear about them in the Illinois River since

Any experiences with Asian carp or thoughts on how to deal with the buggers? I only hear about them in the Illinois River since they are an electronic barrier away from Lake Michigan. Figure it is inevitable for waterfowl/boats to eventually transport a few ripe carp eggs over the barrier.

Yeah I have heard of them, we have them in New York in the Erie Canal. They are fun to catch and release though. I do not know much about the destruction they cause. We also have Zebra Mussels that have ruined the fishing.

Comment

MLH,
      This is something I could talk about first hand all day. The Ill. river is where they are most prolific. They have moved from there into the Mississippi. Those SOBs aren't just dangerous to boaters but to our native fish species. The game depts. in Mo. and Ill. have pretty much given cart blanch to any methods of eradication, bow, shotgun, you name it. The officials are actually trying a massive collection effort of these fish with the idea of not only eliminating them but taking the flesh and feeding prisoners. It is edible and carp ain't bad if done right.

Comment

From everything I have seen they are causing some damage and need to be addressed, We have a big population in a lot of the lakes I fish, but they are the common variety carp, not the problematic asian variety.

Comment

Agreed with Jim in Mo!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad