Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here is the situation: You are fishing and you catch a fish that is not legal to keep, but it swallowed the hook and is already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is the situation: You are fishing and you catch a fish that is not legal to keep, but it swallowed the hook and is already

Here is the situation: You are fishing and you catch a fish that is not legal to keep, but it swallowed the hook and is already dead. What are your thoughts on the legality of this situation. Is it right to throw the dead fish back (morally) or should there be a compromise (legally) to keep it?

If a fish swallows a hook it is not dead, just cut the line as far down as you can and the steel hook will probably rust away. It has a better chance of survival than if you yank it out (none) or throw the fish on the bank (none again). Those fish eat all sorts of crazy things and survive.

Comment

Good point. However, the intent of my question was purely hypothetical that if the fish was dead.

Comment

if it is not legal to keep then it belongs back in the water where it was caught. possession of the fish is illegal, so by releasing it, you avoid prosecution. legality and morality do not always mesh. ask any lawyer.

Comment

Pull/cut the hook and toss the fish. Not your fault that it swallowed it and not worth the fine to keep it.

Comment

dont keep it, fish die all the time...cut the line and let nature take its course

Comment

Toss it, catfish and carp need to eat too. Way cheaper than paying fines.

Comment

Toss it away.

Comment

I f it is dead I would keep it and bury it. I wouldn't tell anyone, if the Game warden came and asked you about you either have the choice to lie or tell the truth.

Comment

I would put it back in the water, somthing else will eat it, its how the enviorment works.

Comment

Understood on all comments. I always put them back and figure nature will take it's coarse, but it always leaves that empty feeling in your stomach.

Comment

Toss it back, no point in a large fine for something that you didnt want to happen. Something will pick it off later on.

Comment

Unfortunateley, I'd say put it back.

Comment

i hate to see any fish to die without hitting the frying pan. the law is the law. i have had fish to die on me the same way. A suggestion i have is that if it happens to change the hook size. going up in hook size might save the next one from swallowing the hook also try a faster approach to setting the hook. be ahead of the bite.

Comment

well personally i would just throw it back although many of us dont like turtles or gar and what not they will have a free meal or the fish could end up on shore further in a differant location and then a racoon could have an easy meal

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad