Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone think that eating farm pond fish is bad for your health, sure seems like there would be alot of pesticides and ferti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone think that eating farm pond fish is bad for your health, sure seems like there would be alot of pesticides and ferti

Does anyone think that eating farm pond fish is bad for your health, sure seems like there would be alot of pesticides and fertilizers due to run-off.

That should not be a problem. Fertility is usually lacking in farm ponds. When it comes to toxicity issues heavy metals are usually more of a concern than pesticides. Heavy metals are usually considered more of an issue in strams and larger lakes than in farm ponds. Each farm pond is a case in its own though.

Comment

I suppose that would depend alot on the location of the pond and if it recieves fresh water from an incoming stream or spring. Though I do think you brough up a good point, I had never really given it a second thought.

Comment

I don't worry about it. If we sit around and worry about every little thing then what's the point of living. I say go out and have fun, as the old saying go, don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff.

Comment

depends on the farm, pond fish or still water fish arent the healthiest to eat in the first place. My farm pond doesnt use any pesticides and isnt harvested anymore so the fish in my pond are good to eat

Comment

I wouldnt worry about it. Too many other things to be concerned about these days.

Comment

the fish will be the best indicator of the healthiness of the pond. if they don't look bright, vibrant and healthy, be careful. your local county extension office may be able to test the water if you take them samples. then just be careful of what pesticides are being used around or close to the area of the pond. i've never had any problem with pond fish.

Comment

i dout it. noone has gottten sick befor im sure its fine

Comment

As long as you're not eating a fish a day for 5 years, I'll think you'll be just fine!

Comment

I ate some pond raised fish that eat those pellets and they tasted terrible. Fun to catch, but they were not very good to eat. As far as the fertilizer I equate it to fish in golf coarse ponds too, I don't know if I would eat them either.

Comment

If the pond is dirty do the catch and release thing.If it's a clean spring fed pond due the management thing.

Comment

It shouldn't be a problem, the grass leading up to the pond should filter out any pesticides or fertlizers. If there is fertilizer runoff there will be eutrification meaning the plants in the water are using the fertilizer to grow and using more oxygen killing the fish. If the fish are already dead you can't really catch them and I don't know a lot of people pulling dead fish out of the water to eat.

Comment

I don't know about pesticides etc., but i did do a little bit a of a study recently on mercury concentrations in fish, and for whatever reason, mercury levels were higher in farm raised fish. This is most likely due to the fact that there is a lower pH in many ponds and due to their proximity to coal power plants and other urbanizations.

Eat the fish if you want, but just consider moderation, as mercury, in my opinion, has a way better chance of making you go mad than CWD.

Comment

i wouldnt worry about it.

Comment

I see your point. But it shouldn't hurt you. Just cook it really good.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad