Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a college student who wants to get into fly fishing. Is there quality equipment out there that won't break my small bank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a college student who wants to get into fly fishing. Is there quality equipment out there that won't break my small bank?

I'm a college student who wants to get into fly fishing. Is there quality equipment out there that won't break my small bank?

Go to cabela's.com and you can get a Three Forks fly rod for around 100 dollars.

Comment

I second that. Reddingtons are good mid range also.

Comment

Ooops. forgot St. Coix Imperials.

Comment

Go down to WalMart and get you a 20.00 fly rod. Get floating line. Put a little more money into a reel, that's where it counts.

Remember, the fish don't give a hoot about all the highbrowed intellectual talk concerning flyfishing. Think like a fish and read less.

Comment

Getting into it you dont have to break the bank....all of these are good suggestions, and you could always look around for some used stuff in your area on Craigslist

Comment

You can get everything you need at Wal-mart in a kit. It's made by orvis and has all the essentials for around 110.00

Comment

You might try the Sportsman's Guide for a reasonable fly rod. I just bought a 9' 4 piece Rivendell Graphite Fly Rod (11-lb.wt) for $39.97. I also bought a Scientific Angler Disc Drag Large Arbor reel (line size 7,8,9) for $27.97 at the Sierra Trading Post online. Both online sources have great satisfaction guarantees. I bought this outfit to keep in my truck while traveling so I havent had a chance to try it out yet. I intend to use it in salt water for redfish. The price is right, you might want to consider it.
                Chiefatk, Killeen, Tx

Comment

I jusy bought a nice Scientific Anglers reel with disc drag and a large arbor for $27 from Sierra Trading Post online. They also have a nice selection of flies. They have an everchanging selection of fishing gear at laughably cheap prices. I never buy expensive gear. The fish don't seem to care.

Comment

IF you want a good fly rod at a decent price go to orvis .com and go to the rod selector.or cabelas. you want to buy the best you can afford dont mess around with a rod/reel combo that is 40 dollars it is garbage you want to spend at least 50 bucks on just the rod. support your local fly shop if you can tight lines

Comment

At L.L. Beans they have the Angler fly rod for around 60 dollars. It is a good enough rod for me to catch spooky landlocked salmon that weigh around 4 pounds

Comment

bud go down to wal mart im 17 and in the same boat that where i wenr got a scientific angler set iv had that set for a while know and caught tons of trout and bass on it

Comment

Good points above. Even check Ebay, sometimes you can pick up a really good rod n reel for a good price.

Comment

Spend at least $75 to a hundred ona fly rod, if you are just fishing for bass and maybe trout the reel is only a place to store line. Buying a cheap rod will make it difficult to learna dn you will grow out of it quickly if you do learn

Comment

Go out and get the Pflueger start up kit for under $50!! Also buy a couple of small poppers and go to a lake get started catching some panfish while honing your casting skills. Once you get out of school you can upgrade to the nicer rods, but they are useless if you don't hone your casting skills!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                                Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X